Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much do they wiegh ???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3/4 axles. 14 Bolt FF, and a Dana 44. Had to unload them by myself. I'm telling ya, HEAVY !!!!!!! Can anyone tell me how much they wiegh ????

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I think a 14 bolt Full Floater with the larger 12" drums is like 500-525 pounds complete. I'm not sure on the Dana 44.

All I know is I'm probably gonna have back problems in my old age (or even sooner /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) cause I always get stuck moving axles around without help. Not fun. It's hard enough loading them with 2 people...one end at a time usually.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

about 3 ounces of force forward and backward with my hand...

hehehe.. Loader buckets are SWEET!!!

Course I didnt have one at both ends...

SO.... um 14 bolt 250 and dana 44 220?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

500+ for the 14 bolt, and probably in the 400 neighborhood for the D44 if it was fully dressed.

Rene

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i remeber reading that a 14B with drums is 525 pounds and a D44 is 450 complete. Dana 60's are 610 pounds complete.

rockwells are lighter and cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I think i would have been better off going with some 2.5 tons, but i am not sure of they work with leaf springs. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif if anyone knows, I'm all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have loaded a d44 and a 10bolt by myself in the back of a pickup. No fun. I'd guess they are around 400 lb.

The 14 bolt w/ drums is very heavy, I think about 600. I tried and could not load that one by myself, but I have unloaded them.

I didn't think a D60 was as heavy as it is....but it is. Right up there with the 14bolt, maybe (by my estimation) a few pounds lighter.

I think it's funny that they are so heavy. My Kawasaki 1100 weighs in at 550 and it's a big bike. Axles are just solid.
    -- Mike

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I started a tread on weights for shipping estimates in the For Sale forum... I have recieved reply's of 650# for a Dana 60 hub to hub with pallet and 800# for Dana 60 plus 14 Bolt in crate...

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have heard that 14 b weighs about 600. i know that when i got mine about 2 weeks ago me and jay(blazinaire) could hardly move it across the ground. and when the front end loader put in in my truck it tweaked the floor all kinds so i an see where the cross member in the floor of my bed. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but i guess its nothing a big hammer cant fix

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I had to use a backhoe to load a fully dressed 3/4 ton front with the springs still attaced. 2 of us could barely move it around once in the bed of the truck

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Damn, I feel like Superman now. The guy I bought the axles from and myself moved them from his trailer to the back of a little S-10 a pick up by hand, and I unloaded them myself by hand. Both are fully dressed, 14 Bolt FF still has drums on them, and the Dana 44 has calipers, and all steering parts on them. I was able to slid them out one at a time, lower one end to the ground, then slid more out and lower that end to the3 ground without dropping anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

That's the way I did it, but I could only get one side of the 14 bolt up to the bed of the pickup - couldn't load that one by myself.
    -- Mike

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Loading them was easy, his trailer sat about 3" higher then the S-10 I was useing. He dropped his tail gate, I dropped mine, backed up till my tail gate was under his, then we dragged them from one to the other. Got lucky that way. Doubt that we could have lifted them up. Well, he does have a engine hoist over there, so we would have got them in the back of the S-10 one way or another !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I just weight them when I took it apart.
    Hubs 24lbs X 2= 48lbs
    Drums 38.8 X 2= 77lbs
    Brakes 22 X 2= 44lbs
    Axle housing 187lbs
    Axle 17lbs
    Axle 15lbs
    Total= 388 lbs.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Funny how many people exaggerate the weight of these axles!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

In reality, they are not quite that heavy.

I have shipped a few 14FF's in wood crates, and the heaviest was at 540 lbs. This was covered by a LOT of wood, approximately 75 lbs. of wood.

I also shipped a 14FF with disc brakes and that one weighed 465 lbs. in the same size and weight crate that I did on the other 14FF's.

Also shipped a D60 front once. That one weighed in at a good 620 lbs. in the same style constructed wood crate. It was longer and bigger than the 14FF crates. This crate must have weighed around 100 lbs.

So, a complete 14FF with drum brakes weighs around 465 lbs.
    A complete 14FF with disc brakes weighs around 390 lbs.
    A D60 front weighs around 520 lbs.

I would give or take around 10-20 lbs. on these quotes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I've noticed one disadvantage to putting lifts under every truck I own. I cant load anything by myself anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I also realized just how much lighter a 12 bolt was the other day...it was like picking up a feather compared to trying to move a 14 bolt. (yes...an exaggeration...but you know what I mean.) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif