Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much do you shim your transfer case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Spent over 3hrs in the K5 each direction this weekend going to the dunes. And yes I have a vibration. I couldn't feel it after my 4" lift, but then I never drove it that much, that long since doing it. I also just put a add-a-leaf in the night before we took off so maybe that was the difference. SO ANYWAYS, I already have the factory spacers between the frame rails and crossmember. So how much do I shim it? A washer or two? Another inch? My driveline angles don't look bad, but I can feel it. Thanks guys!

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

2. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

First you should check to see if your u-joints are still good. If they're still good, you may try to drop the t-case another 1/4" to 1/2". The factory spacers on my k5 took away most of my driveline vibration but some vibration was still noticeable. I recently replaced the spacers with 1" square tubing that runs 6" past the t-case crossmember in each direction. I haven't had any probs since.
    Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have tried 2 in. sq. tube and could not pull it into 1st gear, I have 1 1/2 in. now, still cant get 1st gear. Just got some 1x2 tonite and will be making yet another set! I think the 1 in. will be it. Unless I space down the shifter pivot at the frame.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

If you are interested Steve I can talk to a guy who has his tcase dropped 2". If I remember right he sells a 2" drop kit at his shop too.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Have you shimmed the pinion on the rearend at all? sometimes a slight 2 degree shim can make all the differenece w/ the tcase lowering. I also would double check the u-jts with the shaft removed from the truck.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you would Mikey I would appreciate it. The prob Im running into is it binds up because of the angle of the shifter arm going into the tranny thingamabobber. It works fine in all gears except 1st unless I drop the pivot which I have done and it worked fine then.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

7. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Yeah the lift blocks I have are shimmed. The front U-joint has the most angle to it, but it dosen't seem terriable. And yes my u-joints are all good, just repacked them all when I replaced my slip yoke last week.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???