Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much do you think this 83 K5 is worth?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Apr 9, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'll start with the rust areas: drip rails around doors, body seam inside the door near the striker bolts, rear quarters near fenderwell, interior rockers, probably the tailgate and rear floorpan. Really, the only piece of metal I saw that I'd actually take the time to fix is the hood, and there's nothing wrong with it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It's stock height with RUNNING BOARDS! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    black,
    Warn Hubs,
    slider top with roof rack and spoiler,
    Cheesy A/T tires,
    stock rallye wheels,
    the list goes on with all of the factory stuff...

The only salvation for this K5 is the fact that it has a, quote-on-quote, "fairly" new <font color="blue"> 6.2L diesel </font>.

Price on the windshield is marked at $4000. He said the owner would take $3800 seeing as how it's been sitting at the lot for almost a year. I told the dealership owner that the only way I would even consider it is if he would take $1500 at the most considering the body is junk.

What do you fellas think?

2. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

$4000!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Take $1500 cash in there and offer them that, cash talks. I bought my 82 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2 everything else stock with no rust for 1500. Just point out all the bad points and the areas that will need to be fixed. Take along a knowledgable k5 friend for reassurance and an unbiased opinion.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just bring up all the rust spots, or see about getting a quote from a body shop to see how much it will cost to get that crap replaced, then show it to the dude along with your 1500 clams and he should take it. There's no way I'd pay 3800 bones for anything with rust...

4. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Keep chewing them down and don't be in a hurry.
    Up here in Montana K5's are gold no matter what condition.
    Easy $5,000 if it's real nice condition.

Originally my rig was on the lot for $3,900 but I ended up paying $1900.
    Just drive it and point out everything thats wrong and maybe stop by a body shop, while your "testdriving it, and get a quote from them to make it look decent.
    Showing the dealership how much you would have to put into it.
    Just pick it apart and always rememeber there will always be a better deal down the road.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If K5's are gold in Montana then that is where I need to go to sell mine!
    Just to give you a comparison, mine is an 80 K5 w/ a new 350 and a new TH350 w/ a 205, kinda rusty on 1/4's w/ good interior and I am only going to sell it for 1800 bucks so.......4K is WAY to steep!
    Tell em to wear it... Just cause it is a diesel (cool!) doesn't make up for the rest of the truck being crap.

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I would say pass on it. Unless you are going to cut all the rust out and not replace, and then it might be worth $1500 give or take. Deisels aren't that cool. It would cost more than $3800 to fix it. Plus it has sit for a year. I am always leary of a used car dealer that has let something sit for a year, and then says I can knock of $200. Is the guy crazy?! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I talked to them again today. The K5 is not theirs, it's a retired State Trooper's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That's a good idea though on taking it to a body shop. I'm thinking the dealership is a good place. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Really, that's the only place around here that does body work. I was looking at it to part out, especially since it would cost so much to fix. I'm in the market for a 6.2, so I think I would come out in a pretty good situation with it. Hell, if it runs and drives good, there's a TH400/208 for someone and interior parts and god knows whatever else. All I need is the engine.