Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much does a D60 weigh?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dbreid, Feb 19, 2007.

1. dbreid

dbreid 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of deciding the next step for my truck (aren't we all?). Part of that is axles, of course.

I currently have a D44 8 lug in the front and a 14BSF 8 lug in the back. 4.10's. Those aren't the axles I really want, but they have great brakes on them, all new bearings, etc. I try to maintain my stuff, and all of that is independent of anything for offroad.

Anyway, I am deciding between slowly building "new" axles for it, and then swapping them in, or building the axles I have under the truck, with gears, and better shafts etc.

One of the deciding factors is obviously cost, but another is how easily it will be for me to move the D60, etc (assuming I bought a D60 front and a 14BFF rear) around in my garage.

How much do they weigh? I don't have a forklift, and live in a nice residential neighborhood where I can't have stuff like axles and things outside on my lawn. Could a couple of people (safely) lift and carry a fully dressed axles around?

I have done plenty of work on trucks, I just realized I have always done it on axles that were already in the truck.

Thanks, Dan

2. dbreid

dbreid 1/2 ton status

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Approx. 500lbs.

Give or take 10lbs.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

500 lbs is nothing to a floorjack. and if you need to get it into the back of a pickup then an engine crane makes short work of it. both tools you will use again for something.

before the teardown and after the build you can bolt some wheels on to roll it around.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use my floor jack and 3 jackstands. Its not bad as long as you are just rolling it around.

6. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

14bff is in the neighborhood of 550 lbs... they are movable with 2 full size people, IF you strip the brakes off first (450 lbs)

D60 is not 2 people movable, and i dont think 3 could lift it due geometry... so yeah, you need a hoist or a floor jack. Once you have it torn down, it is single person movable as the center section is only about 120 lbs (without gears)

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you can get a D60 out of truck bed with two people, when i got mine it was in the back of a truck under another 60 we had to move the first one then lift mine out of the truck and on to the ground and there was only two of us

8. dbreid

dbreid 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of making a little jig for an axle roller, with an old 8bolt rim, and some casters on the bottom of it, so the axle would more easily move in all directions. Thanks for the advice, guys!

9. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Mine sits on one of those furniture dollies. got it for like 15 bucks at HF. It gets it just off the ground enough to be able to roll it around with a short chunk of 4X4 post on each end.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, I was about 6'1" and 180 pounds when I moved a D60 by myself... up a steep ass driveway. With floor jacks and maybe a cherry picker, you can move them around. They are heavy mo-fos, but it can be done... and is WELL worth it. :)

j

11. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Just put the dang thing under the truck and move it with the gas pedal. THat sounds like the easiest way to me.:D

12. goofy1

goofy1 1/2 ton status

X2
    Iused the furniture dolly also worked great http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=dolly

13. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

14. WC

WC Registered Member

I just put a set of tires/wheels on and can roll them around by myself, as long as it's a sort-of flat area. Tie off the steering arms on the front so they don't flop around.

15. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I don't know 'bout y'all, but my D60 stock weighed in at 630 pounds. It's a SFW regular joe D60 with a build date of 11 25 88. This sucker is heavy and Nick and I struggled to man-handle this thing around. We are neither small, nor weak, but that axle kicked butt! I definitely recommend using furniture dollies to move it around. Floor jacks work, but it's a PITA to balance the axle.

I agree; an engine hoist would make short order of things!

Manny

16. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  17. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

I dont know exactly how much mine weighed, but i know it was aloooot. I had the truck high enough where i could roll the axle underneath the truck with the wheels on and then wiggle it into place. I had a hard time getting into place with the wheels on so in the end i took the tires back off and used two floor jack to move it around.

18. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

how much lighter is the ten bolt ?