Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Much Does A Hard Top Wiegh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rgood81, May 11, 2005.

1. rgood81

rgood81 Registered Member

I Was Wondering How Much Does A Hard Top Wiegh, And Can You Take If Off By Yourself.....i Dont Have Any Friends Near By And I Dont Like To Ask Nieghbors, Especially Since No Ones Home During The Day......i Dont Have A Garage To Do The Whole Hanging It To The Cieling Thing, Has Anyone Lifted It Off By Themselves, Im Not Saying Im A Big Muscle Man But Im Pretty Sure I Can Manage...thanks

2. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

I don't know exactly, but they are heavy. Maybe around 175 pounds. No good places to grab. You need two people unless you just dont care about beating the crap out of everything. Do you have a tree nearby to put a pulley system?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I weighed my old hardtop a few years back, it was 188 lbs and had sliding side windows. The solid glass model would be a few lbs lighter. I have removed my top by myself a few times...it's doable but no fun.

Once it's all unbolted i stand under the middle of the top and using my back i lift it slightly and creep it back a little at a time. Then, i grab an 8 foot 2x4 and put it across the bed at the rear so the 'pins' hold it from coming off the rear of the bed. I just lift one side of the top and get the 2x4 under it, then lift the other side and do the same. The 2x4 at the back keeps the top from sliding off the side of the truck, or into the box.

Once the 2x4 is in place i grab the rear of the top and start pulling it rearward, until there is only about 18" of top still on the truck...then i lower the back of the top onto the ground so it's standing on end. At that point you can walk the top away from the truck and up against a wall (what i usually do)

I'd have to say it's much better with at least one other person to help though. My second bit of advice is if it does begin to slide and fall...let it go. It's not worth wrecking your back. I've dropped mine several times and aside from a little scratched paint it was fine after.

FWIW I'm 5'10" and 150 lbs...

Since I did the full convertable thing recently i finally got motivated to put together a winch. pulley's etc etc in the carport.

Rene

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

That is how I used to do it. Except without the 2x4. I wish I thought of that litte trick! Only had it slip sideways on me once, and that was with the 78 Bronco, not the K5. I was about the same size too. The Bronco top is WAY lighter than the K5. Hmmm... maybe that is why my back is shot and I am only 27.... :grin: