Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much does a paint job cost?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Charisma, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Charisma

Charisma Registered Member

About how much does a paint job cost on a blazer?

"Officer, I'm sure we can let this slide...."

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Depends on the paintjob. I've got a $400 paint job on my truck from earl scheib that looks fine to me. If you look close you can see very slight imperfections but the truck gets dinged up anyway. If you really want to go cheap just get some rattle-cans and use those. Also you can go with bedliner for somethere between $400-$800, do a search for posts on this and you'll find more info. As well you can spend a whole lot more on a paintjob that if you offroad will likely end up looking much like the $400 dollar paint job very shortly.
    -Aaorn

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How much do you want to spend?

You can spend as little as $300 at Maaco and get a POS paint job - including the tires, etc. or go to a good place like Herb's and spend $3000

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

It depends on the type of paint, the amount of body damage that you want/need repaired, the type of paint job, the quality of the work, etc. On a 4x I'd say to go with an enamel based paint and no clearcoat, that way if it gets scratched it can be buffed out(if it's not too bad), and enamel is cheaper anyway. If you just want to put another couple coats of paint on and aren't worried about fixing any dents or dings, ask around at the local paint shops and see if they'll let you rent a booth for a day. Doing it yourself will save a LOT of money!

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Mine was real cheap, about 3 bucks a can and it took around 10 cans to spray the whole K5. Course mine is a trail friendly paint job where you probably want a pretty one.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Is your body reasonably straight (or straight enough to suit you)? Got a compressor (or a buddy with one)? Not too concerned about perfection? If you said “yes” to all three, my advise is paint it yourself. Then, when it gets dinged or scratched, you have not lost anything and you can easily patch it if you pick an easy solid color (like white, gray, or light blue. Stay away from dark colors if you want to be able to patch it easily and metallics are MUCH harder to spray. White is by far the easiest to spray, it is easiest to patch, and it is the best to hide dents or scratches.

Just borrow or rent a decent spray gun and regulator, pick up about 2 gallons (1.5 for a typical truck) of your favorite color along with catalyst and thinner (including lacquer thinner to clean the gun) and a cheap Wal-Mart mop bucket (for mixing). The body shop supply guys will be very helpful in helping make sure you get the right stuff to work together, just tell them this is your “first time &lt;blush&gt;". Follow the directions exactly when mixing the paint (the guys at the paint store can provide disposable measuring cups).

This is exactly what I did the first time I did my own paint job (borrowed compressor and gun). I even picked up some body filler and an "idiot stick" (16" long flat sanding "block") to fix some dings. I was exceedingly proud of it and it’s really not that hard. I got a few small runs, nothing really noticeable and it was really cool knowing I did it myself. If you can, try to get someone who is familiar with a spray gun to show you how to move and trigger the gun as well as adjusting for a good pattern.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Also wear a respirator even if working outside. Paint job on a preped truck about 8-1000. Unprepped 1500 and up depends on body condition. This is better paint (brand name). Like others said cheaper at macco or earl sheib. I got price of 800 for a 66 grand prix with me doing all prep work and removing bumpers, emblems, and trim.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Whatever you do don't choose Maaco...they sucko......For $40 bucks you can get some spray paint and camo your Blazer. You get a scratch and it's easy to fix. Looks cool too! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ouch! I can't believe I forgot to mention the respirator! &lt;hangs head in shame&gt; You can get a cheap, disposable charcoal filter respirator at the body shop supply when you get your paint. Thanks DMK.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.