Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much does ceramic coated headers help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Jul 22, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Here's my problem, I've got an 88 blazer and i'm putting an engine in it next weekend. I wanted to get a ceramic coated header to keep engine compartment temperature down. I got through river here quite frequently here in texas and my friends have headers and it seems to make the water steam up really bad in the compartment causing the engine to die. The main problem i have is that i have AIR injection on my blazer and they can't get these headers with the port and coated for like 4 weeks. They have plenty that aren't coated thought. I know i could just take the whole smog pump off, but would my O2 sensor detect this and mess with the fuel ratio??? How much do ya'll think the cermamic coating helps with the steam??? I have to decide wether i'm sticking with manifolds or getting headers really quickly. I need opinions quick!!!!! I'd really like to get headers. Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

They still get hot so you will still have steam when enough water gets in engine compartment. I think they are well worth the money they will never rust and will always look good.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just rip the smog pump off and put the regular coated headers on it. Your O2 sensor won't care.

I have the coated headers, and I'm going to tell you right now, they'll still steam up. I've never had my motor die from steam, and it really shouldn't die from that. It does make for some <a target="_blank" href=http://mavericktim.freeyellow.com/fourwheeling.html>interesting pictures.</a>

I have never had painted headers but I didn't buy the coated ones to reduce underhood temperature, but more so they wouldn't rust out in the first week that I had them. I would never have painted headers after having these coated ones. Mine are Dynomax and are coated with Jet-Hot's silver coating.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey Tim... I couldn't remember who had these Dynomax coated ones from a different post but am wondering how the fit was and the plug clearance on those... also the coating is good I assume since it is jet hot.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I'm running dynomax haeders now and i've had them on for about two years. as far as that heat thing all haeders will get hot as sh*t. mine are ceramic coated and the coating has faired well over the past two years but it has started to get little pimples of rust all over the collector area. as far as fit goes they fit okay it takes so minuvering to get them in place, and when it comes to plug access there is one plug you can't get to with a socket, I have to use a box end wrench.I can't remember what # plug it is but it is the 3rd plug up on passenger side. anyway hope this helps. If you are worried about the heat they make a type of header/exhaust tape to wrap around the headers, this will help some but not sure how much, I've never used it myself.

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to pass emissions without the smog pump? I don't have to pass emissions right now but in the future i might. Thanks again - Doug

Doug Krebs

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Which Humble TX are you in? If you are in the one near Houston, you probably won't pass emissions with a smog pump. Houston's air pollution problems have their emissions tests a little strict. If you are in the HUmble near Winnsboro east of Dallas, you could be okay. Outside of the counties in the major metro areas in Texas, emissions are a lot less strict.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They will last longer, but don't expect the coating to stay pretty. I had Jet Hot coat a pair of Hooker Super Comps for me. A year later I had them recoated again, because they started to rust pimple bad, and now a year later they are again rust pimpling bad, but they will not recoat them. Just an FYI about Jet Hot coatings. (P.S. my headers were still in the box when they first coated them) There are other companies out there, just do a search.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I remember that Beater74...LOL [​IMG] Yeah you get pretty good at it if you change plugs alot... that and the leak problems I had w/ them was all I could say bad about them... but replaced the gasket w/ a high quality fel-pro and replaced the crudded bolts w/ arp and no problems

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm just going to say the same thing beater74 said--the #6 plug wire sucks go get to, and the coating does wear off. I'm sending mine back to Jet-Hot soon. Their factory burned down, so it'll be a while. They WILL recoat my headers often and forever, because they have a lifetime warrenty. I don't care if they like it or not--it's going to happen.

They fit well, and I like them. My only problem with them is that the flanges are thin, so mine leak a little. I need to tighten them again.

Truthfully Doug Thorley's are probably the best headers you can buy, but you're going to pay for them.

Dynomax is the best you can do for $200. Get their exhaust kit too! It's only $100!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Restomotive POR15 has a header coating/paint that is supposed to last longer than your vehicle, that is if you abuse it like you oughta.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton