Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much does your average starter cost?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuskadero, May 21, 2001.

1. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Hello,

I think my starter is bad, I have a 1989 Blazer and I was wondering how much a new one is going to cost me. Can anyone help me out thanks, Heather

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can probably find one for $30-40, but you'll probably have to replace it soon, too. I got a lifteime warranty one at NAPA for $80 a little while ago.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

if you actually use your 4x4 you wont want 'average' starter. they make a special 4x4 model with 'closed' snout and special seal to protect the windings. of course because it is 'special' you pay a premium, i paid $134.75+tax CDN in 1994 from a rebuilder and it is still kicking fine.
    not sure if this is relavent but part#701 std3884g
    obviously i keep my reciepts
    hope that helps some

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I picked up a $40 one with a lifetime warranty from Pep Boys. I also picked up a new seloniod and a rebuild kit (I think $24 for both) just incase I am out in BFE when it goes again.

Do you by any chance have hedders? I think that is what did mine in. A heat shield will be my next mod.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would recomend geting a good quality one from Napa or even a new AC Delco depending on what prices you can find in your area. Starters... cheapy starters and alternators have this crazy knack for crapping out 3 months down the road. I get all my starters and alternators from a custom place that rebuilds them... they really know their stuff and are pretty affordable, maybe ask a trustworthy local shop where they get there's from.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I just read your other post, and if your satrter is really going out, and your truck wont start, after checking the connections at the starter, try hitting it with a hammer a few times. My starter went out a few months ago, and I had to carry a hammer with me and hit it every time before I tried to start it, otherwise it wouldn't start.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

i work at a parts store, and my suggestion is to drop the few extra $'s for a lifetime starter. While i do see a few of these come back as warranties, there are far more of the cheap 1year or 3year warranties come back. You get what you pay for. I would say $40 to $45 for a lifetime warrantied starter is reasonable.

eric

Hell, it don't really matter....it's just for my race car.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just replied in your other post. But here it is again.

The one in my S-10 had a loose post on the solenoid. (sp) It kept it from starting. Just clicks. Tried the jumpstart thing and everything else before replacing it.
    Just a thought,

P.S. Make sure you have the auto parts store test the new starter before you leave the place. I have seen 3 bad ones in 2 years. Two were in the store, can you guess where the one was??

John
    [​IMG]

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '84 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allsion Auto

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How is that one different from the Autozone "Off-road version" starters that sell for $40 lifetime? They are almost completely enclosed.

Let me tell you what the problems are with small block starters:
    1) solenoid contacts pit and corrode
    2) Wiring doesn't give enough juice to the solenoid coil
    3) Stupid thing has bushings in the end instead of bearings with snap rings. All you have to do is get some wear and the rotor can move forward and back, taking the windings out of the ideal location for making torque.

The cheap starters are worse only because they use softer end caps which speed up the wear and cheaper solenoid contacts.

<font color=green>"I don't have the brains for business. I want to go into politics" -Mao Xinyu </font color=green>

10. nd_4_mud

nd_4_mud Registered Member

I paid 45 for one from pep boys. And i keep the receipt. That way they will replace it. I have had the same starter for about 1 and a half years know. And it has had mud and sand all up in it and still no problems. I guess i got lucky.