Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much does your truck leak?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jishory, Feb 27, 2006.

?

How much does your truck leak?

1. it doesnt leak at all

38 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. it has a drip

77 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. it leaks alot

35 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. naked option

13 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

my front main seal on my tranny leaks a healthy amount of gear oil, dleroy43 calls it the exxon valdez because of the oil spill under where i park it, oh well, i keep it topped off.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Its pretty common. All the chevys ive owned have leaked lol. My 85 used to leak before i rebuilt everything, lol, getting to the leak isnt worth topping it off unless its pouring:haha:

Top it off and drive :haha: :D

First fix your bent frame!!!!:D j/k

3. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

my 205 leaks like none other. is it possible to leak from the yoke??? but yeh i cary my wrench and fluid everytime i hit the trails and check it every 45 minuites.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It doesn't leak a drop, although when I bought it it bled a lot. After replacing many cheap and re-used gaskets and seals, she's tight as a drum now. A couple of the POs had wallets that were apparently way too thin to own and properly maintain a full-size 4x4, and maybe they should have been driving old VW bugs instead.

5. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

My front and rear tranny seals are shot. I leak at least a quart every time I wheel.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My 14ff rear pinion seal leaks like the titanic. My Power steering pump looses fluid rediculosely quick (I have to re fill it if it sits over night). One of my valve conver gaskets leaks. My radiator has a leak. My front corp 10 bolt appears to have a mild leak. My tranny and np203 had bad leaks when I got the truck. Brought it to a tranny guy who was supposed to fix that, I haven't noticed the t case leaking anymore, but the tranny still leaks. If it holds fluid, it leaks. ;)
    thanks,
    James

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

One of the problems is that when you fix one leak, there is often a smaller and (previously unnoticed) leak nearby that wasn't evident because of the gusher (that you just fixed). As you fix them, the spots on the driveway get smaller and fewer. It all comes down to how much time and/or money you want to burn and what's good enough for you as far as less leakage. The gaskets and seals really cost very little, but the time (and labor $$$, if you're not a wrencher) can really add up.

I've heard a suggestion (more than once) that there should be an easy-open door on the tranny tunnel that you'd open up and see a nice little screw-off cap with a dipstick and filler tube for the transfer case, since the TC much more difficult than the engine and tranny to check level and top up. There is a lot of merit to this idea.

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine is constantly leaking. If I fix the leaks in the motor, the tranny will start leaking, if I fix the tranny the the rear axle will start leaking, then the stearing box, then the front axle, then the transfer case, and when I finally think I got it all fixed, the motor starts leaking again.

9. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

sometime my transfer case will drip but no leaks other than that :D

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Fixed all the leaks. I wheel with an emergency spill kit. I hate to see trucks on the trail puking fluids all over the ground. That is bad for the earth and shows a lack of the "tread lightly" mentality.

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Only thing that leaks in the transfer case by the slip yoke. I'm debating to use the 241 anylonger, I might just swap in a 465/205

12. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just the rear diff leaks on my :burb: :p: . On my 68 :truck: , I have lot of oil spraying from the exhaust :yikes: :doah: I think the rings are gone :mad:

13. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Tranny leaks like there is no tomorrow. I think my rear crank seal is leakin too. I plan on a tranny/tcase rebuild this year sometime, so it should fix that.

14. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:bow: :bow:
    I agree 100%. There is nothing worse than seeing a sheen on the water after one of those Exxon Valdez buckets of loose bolts clambered through. When we wheel up here, the trail boss inspects all vehicles and won't hesitate to kick one to the curb if it is leaking. But tell me, is the train of thought different when rock crawling and/or otherwise staying clear of water? I have never wheeled where there was not going to be some kind of water crossing, ie creek, mud hole, flooded field etc.

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

everythings been fixed but a very minor one from the front tranny seal.... which i can live with until the drivetrain comes out for one reason or another... i rarely catch a drip on my garage floor... cardboard under it is a nice habit to get into for leakers...

16. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

No tranny leaks,t-case leaks,but valve covers always leak... :rolleyes:

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X3 i bust my ass to try and keep the leaks to a minimum
    but alas there is still cardboard under my junk in the garage, just a few drops on it is all though.

18. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Since my gear swap, on my rear axel, the pinion seal leaks a little. I have a replacement seal, but I don't have the right puller to get the old seal out and I'm to lazy to pull the axel apart after I spent all that time setting up the gears. It only leaks after driving it round town and the longer and faster I drive the more it leaks. It started spuing oil after 10 exits at 75mph.

My tranny, the 465, started to drop oil at pints at a time. Turns out the previous owner put about 4 gallons of gear oil in it. I mean filled to the top of the shifter. So I solved that by draining the excess out.

19. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Well I like to call mine the TeaBag. It leaks from the rear pinion if it is parked downhill. This I can live with until I swap in the one tons, it doesn't leak much. My tranny lines are starting to leak bad, but that is all coming out for the 465/205 swap. Now my 350 is leaking and I thought it was coming from the basepan so I went out and bought one. A CHROME one and everyone here is telling me it is no good to put on the chrome one. I dont care about looks I got it on a clearance sale and it was hell of a lot cheaper than a OEM one. But it looks like it is leaking in front of the pan. I am stumped now.

20. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

...wait a minute...old chevys arent supposed to leak?
    both 6.2s ive owned my C10 wasnt bad but my K10...well lets you look close enough where I used to park when I was a freshman in college(fall 2003) you can still see oil stains.:D