Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much fender cut for 35's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big_Ugly_Diesel, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Big_Ugly_Diesel

Big_Ugly_Diesel Registered Member

How much fender cut for 35\'s?

How much would I have to cut my fenders out to fit 35x14.50's with a 4in lift and no rubbing? How far can you cut out the fenders without having to modify the inner fenders? Thanks

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: How much fender cut for 35\'s?

for driving on hard ball and moderate flex not at all. depends on how want to drive it. to see what that would look like click below.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

With yours, I would say just a bit on the rear of the front lip and go from there. Wouldn't worry too much about screwing up sheet-metal ya might have to whack later anyways. Flex it out and carry a light and heavy hammer to do field mods.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i carry my sawzall to clear up any short lived "clearence issues"!! =o)

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What size wheels are you running? I have 35x12.50 BFG MTs on 15x10 wheels. I butchered my fenders pretty good this past weekend on some relatively easy trails. When that suspension gets compressed and you need to turn, you are going to be in trouble. I am trimming the back of the front fender wells as far as I can. First back to the inner fender and see how that does. If I need more, I plan to trim like Steve in the UAV. I am using Bushwacker cut-out flares to finish it all up. Will be doing mine next weekend.

When my fenders rubbed on the trail, it curled the whole bottom of the rear side of the front fender up into the well. Going forward didn't hurt the tire, but limited steering and made A LOT of noise. If I had tried to go backwards, though, I probably would have lost some lugs. So be careful when you are learning how much flex you can have.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. Big_Ugly_Diesel

Big_Ugly_Diesel Registered Member

I want to be able to FLEX without worrying about cutting my tires on the fenders. I am running 35x15.50x15 on 15x10 wheels. Looks are not important, I just want clearence without modifying the inner fenders. When its chopped good, that just means you use it.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 4" lift, 15x8 wheels on the front, and 35x12.50 BFG Mud Terrains, and they hit both in front and in back, cutting a few lugs. I hate it. I beat my fenders out of the way since I'm replacing it all next summer anyway. If I had it to do all over again, I would have just got a 6" lift in the first place because I won't cut my fenders.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Measure 6" forward of the door at the bottom of the fender and make a mark. Then run a piece of tape from that mark to the top radius of the wheel well. That is your cut line. Then take a hammer and pound the inner fender back as far as it will go. Next hammer the edge of the outter fender back over like it was when it was stock. This will keep you from cutting the tire if you do make contact. Mine has only rubbed once since I did it like this. I was moving fairly fast in the wrong direction after the truck stalled on very steep and rocky hill climb. It rubbed the inner not the outter fender, so there was no damage to the body or tire. At the front of the wheel well make a mark at the center of the bumper and just make a straight horizantal cut. Thats what worked for me with 35x12.50 BFGs on a 15x8 rim, YMMV.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>