Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much fluid 4 a dry 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 13lazer, Jan 29, 2006.

1. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

i am about to start my truck after installing a new 700r4. what procedure should i follow to fill the tranny with fluid? i have a deep derale pan and a new torque converter. if anyone has advice i'd like to hear it, i think i can get it goling tonite. thanx.

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i think it holds 12-14 cant really remember.

3. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

that much? wow i have 6 in now i wonder if thats enough to start it with? i dont want to burn it up before i run it?

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

for some reason im really thinking 12, because your pan holds about 4-5 in it or at least mine does anyway. when we changed my tranny we put 6 in it started it helt the brake put it in all the gears to take fluid and then added the rest . so you might be ok but not 100% sure.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC, 12qts. You need to figure look at your paperwork on your aftermarket pan, it should say how many extra quarts it holds over stock if it is infact a deep pan.

Fill the converter with a couple quarts, thats very important. Then put as much in the trans as you can fire it up, shift through the gears, shut it off, and add more.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

can't say exactly for your set up, but a stock 700r4 has a capacity of 5 quarts. did you prime your torque converter? as i have been told, a tc doesn't create vacuum to pull fluid into it unless there's already fluid in it. i hope you did, because it's gonna suck if you decide you gotta do that at this point. ;)

7. rjfguitar

I hope you are meaning what sits in the pan... The whole shabang holds 12qts IIRC.

8. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

uh oh

how important is it to prime the t.q.? i installed it dry. is there a way to get some fluid in there with only the pan off?

9. colbystephens

i bet you're right, rjfguitar. things is, my buddy and i just put a 700 into his truck from a junkyard and i suppose it had oil in it - never really considered whether it did at the time. we just put in 5 quarts - including about one directly into the tc, and it was full.

10. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

i thought the pump would handle that upon startup?

11. rjfguitar

I just checked Amsoil's application guide, a Th700R4 holds 12 qts full capacity. Initial pour in is 5 qts. Once the engine is ran and oil starts to circulate it will make room for the other 6 quarts.

12. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

that sounds good. all my books leave that part out. im gonna try to start it and hope the pump fills my torque converter. something as important as that, i should've heard about it from somewhere. im more nervous now then before, as i put this transmission together in my basement.

13. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

thank you for your help everyone. it started and went through every gear. then a cooler line blew off, but othwise all is well

14. colbystephens

so no need for priming the tc? i'd be glad to hear that! good tip for other times. i don't know how reliable my source was so i followed it, thus, i figure that way you can't go wrong.

15. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

:saweet: it filled right up and hit drive and reverse with authority. it would have been difficult to add fluid to prime the t.c. and not make a huge mess. especially since i layed out 3 sheets of 1-1/8" plywood over dirt to make my work surface. a few more bugs to work out and install my disc brake front and my old c5 will be my daily driver. thank you guys again for your help. :k5:

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Install tip for next time: Lay the torque converter flat, pour in a quart or two. That's enough to get things lubed up, but not enough to pour out all over the place when you install the converter. :cool1:

17. rjfguitar

You NEED to prime the converter before it is installed. It's law for a trans builder. Otherwise the converter starts up dry and it can damage something.

Maybe the original poster got away with it, he won't know until the converter gets some miles on it, but it doesn't mean the next guy will.

Harry3 is right, it only takes a quart or two so there is oil in there to circulate through the converter to lube it up and start flowing.