Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much fluid does a TH400 hold? Best way to seal tranny pan?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jan 21, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

How much ATF does a TH400 hold? Someone told me to put in 9. I put in 6 and it started coming out of base of dip stick. I start the truck, and fluid starts shooting out the drivers side of the pan, I think it blew out the gasket. I need to know how much fluid to put in. The convertor is already full.
    Also what is the best way to seal the pan? I got a rubber gasket tonight, should I put any RTV on it or anything? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the capacity question, but I've never used anything but the gasket supplied with the tranny service kit.

ONE HINT - The best way to avoid leaks is to resist the temptation to overtighten the pan bolts. Overtightening seems to be the best way to cause leaks[​IMG]!!!!!

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If the 400 is from an original 4WD application, then it should take close to 14 quarts, including what's in the converter. If the tranny was in a 2WD, it will have a shallower pan, and will take more like 10-12 quarts.

As for fluid "squirting" out the side of the pan... There is (or should be!) no pressure in the pan, it just catches what runs out of the tranny and holds it for the pump to pickup. Make sure where it's coming from. Is the modulator perhaps not tight? Or missing it's O-ring? How about the cap over the governor? Is it sealed properly?

I put 2 or 3 quarts directly into the converter before installing it, then added ATF until it was at "full". Next, I kept adding ATF with the engine idling, so the pump was moving the fluid to the internals as I filled it. It took a LOT of ATF to fill it up the rest of the way. You also need to shift it manually through all of the detents, to get fluid routed through all of the internal logic routes.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much fluid does the whole trans hold? Or how much does the pan hold?

The pan is 4 quarts or so would be my guess.

I wouldn't put anything on a trans gasket.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure it was coming out of the pan, thats what my buddy said, I didn't see it. I will check it tomorrow. It is on the drivers side, my modulator is on the pass side. I also did fill up the convertor before i installed it. I am planning to pull pan tomorrow and check it out and give it another shot.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s