Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much for a 400/205 combo?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Feb 25, 2005.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

After looking around for a little over a month I have not found a 400/205 for a decent price. I have only found 2. One is hundreds of miles away and the other the guy wants $1000. for the combo. All original from a 77 burb. Hasn't even been rebuilt. What do you guys think $1000. Is it worth it. I might consider since I am 80% complete rebuilding my K5. i am not made of money but dont know what else to do. What do you guys think?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Unless the tranny was freshly rebuilt, never run and came with a warranty I say that's way too high.

I've purchased 4 seperate (complete) 400/205 combos none of which were more than $400. Granted none of the 4 had a running tranny but that's only worth about $300 more. Check Ebay, currently there are several of the pieces you need on auction.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Does that $1000 come with a bottle of lube?

4. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

400/205

I just picked up a 400/205 for $150.I am going to rebuild the tranny and open the transfercase up to see what kind of shape it is in before I put them in my suburban.It is hard to find 400/205 combos here but I would have to say unless both have been completely rebuilt by a competent shop(with documentation to prove it) $1000 is pretty pricey.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Maybe its just me but I don't think a '77 burb would have had that combo from the factory. and yes, $1000 is too steep.

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Does that $1000 include the rest of the truck? That is way to much for a tranny/transfer case.