Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much for a 5.9L cummins?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i was reading a semi-old issue of one of my 4x4 mags and saw the specs on the newer 5.9L HO cummins turbo diesel that they are using in the newer dodges. 305 HP at 2900 rpm.... 555 ft lbs at 1400 rpm(!)... and a 350,000 mile average life-to-overhaul. yikes! sounds like a good lil engine. anyone know how much one of these bad boys costs? I dunno about using it in my k5... but it might make a sweet engine for a sniper-esque tube-framed rock buggy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dude, it's a medium duty truck motor with a hefty price tag I'm sure...You can figure on over 10K...hell it's hard to find a used older 24V under 5K! And it's a heavy pig. makes a 454 look like feathers in a bag... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

You can get them for $4000 plus the shipping, then you have to think about the transmission! They don't bolt to a chevy tranny without an AA adapter, and top of that, most Chevy Trannies won't handle the Torque! If been researching it for a long while and the killer of it all is that to get the right year(for maximum Torque), and the right Tranny(NV4500/NV5600), you'll be spending about $9-10,000 after all the mods and adaptation for the intercooler and Turbo and all are done! It is a sweet engine and it is big, but like you said, it sure kicks butt! Been looking into dropping one into a Crew Cab Dually for about a year! Some day I plan on doing this swap! It's been done to a wide range of vehicles from Chevys to Hords, to even International Scouts!!!!!! Do a search, especially in the Diesel forum here and on the Diesel Page, It's been talked about alot!

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't know if they are still in there but there was 2 of them in the Washington Buy N Sell trader a few weeks ago. I think they were around 2K or 2,500.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No real point in considering a GM tranny for a Cummins conversion. Better to use the Getrag or NV4500/5600 it comes with and use either the matched t-case (NP241HD or NP205) or run divorced.

The 24-valve ones are computer controlled, so it will probably have a heart-attack if you separate it from the Dodge auto-trans.

6. jekbrown

yeah, diesels are purdy heavy. I dunno... 555ft lbs from 5.9Ls just looks kinda cool... and the rpms you get max torque at are perfect for 4x4 use...

j

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Actually the 5.9 weighs in around 1000 pounds where a loaded 454 weighs around 750 or so... Or so I've been told.

Anyway, I'm going to be putting a 97 or 98 12 valve in my 96 chevy here shortly. I'm finding the engines for around $2500 or so. Theres usually quite a few on ebay. Also, the 12 valves can be built for more power easier than the 24 valves. There is a company I've been looking at for power parts and they have a setup for around 2 grand that will give you 1500 ft/lbs at the rear wheels but I think that would just rip my truck in half /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

These motors are not at full potiential in the Dodge trucks so ther is much more to be had.
    The older 12 valve engines w/ the P7100 injection pump and some tweeking will hurt any drivetrain 1 Ton on down if your looking for serious off idle torque .
    12 Valve or 24 Valve B series engines are GREAT !!!!!!

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

1500 ft/lbs???? OMY ! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That would be SO sweet. You would need a dana 80 or a very light foot.

10. willyswanter

11. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the redirect but have you looked at the 500cid caddy motors? Those suckers have like 500ft/lbs of torque in the low 2000 RPM range.
    Just my 2 cents
    David

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Cummins still makes more torque at a lower RPM...plus it'll get near 20 mpg. The Caddy would be lucky to get half that mileage and it sure isn't gonna last 350,000 miles.

rene

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'd say go with the cummins if you can afford it and your driveline is screaming "try to break me!" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

But... It would cost way less initially and cost less to maintain. Remember he was talking about a buggy type vehicle and simpleis the way I would go.
    David

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well if its a buggy system, he doesn't need the huge cummins torque. Save the cummins for a full size.

16. jekbrown

need *some* torque when you have 2.5t axles and 48" michelins. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I dont think 500 ft lbs is overkill... though I guess it would depend on the gearing etc. Anyway, it was just a thought. I have no doubt u can build a chev engine to get way more power... but the cool thing about the cummins is that it gets good gas mileage, has a LONG life expectancy, and has lots of torque at way low rpms. Not bad features for a 4x4 engine... its tough, powerful, reliable, and effiencient. Slightly better than a chevy 6.2L diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Add FRICKIN HEAVY to that list of traits of yours! :lol Cummins are powerful but are heavy as well.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well how simple or cheap is a decent FI system for a Caddy 500? Remember the diesel is mechanically injected, a much simpler design than adding a computer and all sorts of fragile, and expensive electronics to accomplish less.

I'd consider a 6.2 in a buggy, just for cost reasons. It certainly crawls real good in my Jimmy. I can imagine it would do as well or better in a light weight buggy, without breaking the bank. It's also lighter than a Cummins.

Rene

19. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

There's a guy in my neighborhood that does a lot of conversions in furds to Cummin's mills. He even has a few used older 12 valve Cummins for sale. Last time he was in the shop he said they were toying with the idea of building Chevy kits. They've got an adapter to go to the new Ford ZF5 and ZF6 tranny's. I dunno if you could use that tranny and run a divorced 205 or what??

His URL is http://www.fordcummins.com He used to work at the local tractor shop for a lot of years before he jumped into this with both feet... Turns out I know the machinist (not me) thats making all his adapters and stuff, and he's extremely sharp. If you guys are serious about doing it, make up some plans and I'll run them over to old George. He could make like 30 at a time, and you could sell them over here (he's got like 5 CNC machines now...)

And for the record... In the history of our engine shop (since 1976) we've seen ONE Cummins 12 valve head... Nothing else... Not ONE complete engine has ever been in our shop. The diesel truck market up here is HUGE too. Everywhere you go you see a Cummins or Powerstroke. Lots of guys up here have modded out and hopped up Cummins. One dude that came into our shop said his Cummins, with propane injection and all the other mods was OVER 800 ft/Lbs.

20. willyswanter

Shoot, 800ft/lbs is nuttin for a 12 valve cummins /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've seen pulling dodges with like 2200... And it still probably gets 16mpg /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif