Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much $ for a gear change?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BulldogK5, Jul 5, 2006.

1. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I need to regear and add a detroit in the rear. A local reputable shop quoted me about $2400 for labor and materials. This is for yukon gears in the rear, dana set in the front and a detroit. This is of course provided everything else looks ok. I know the axles are in good shape and the gears in it are fine. Currently they are 4.10's with open carriers. I know I am past the carrier change for the front. I am leaning towards 4.88's or possibly 5.13's. These are 1-tons running 39.5 tsl. Does this seem outrageous for the work required for this change?

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats alot of money

i paid $200 per axle for gear/locker install. they were going to charge $500 per axle is i just drove the truck in, but i disassembled them so that took alot off the labor. i got my 5.13s for the 14b for $200 and detroit for $379. for the d60 i got the gears for $159 i believe, and detroit for $465. install kits were bout $100 each i believe. add that up and thats what i paid.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well that seems a little high considering that only front and rear R&P and a detroit. It would be bad if that was bearings and selas for both axles. We charge 425 labor for the rear and 525 for the front. All new bearings and seals and ring and pinions for the front and your close to 2 grand, plus tax freight and oil. Now on the older front ends usually EVERYTHING is bad so that raises the bill quite a lot, and when I say everyhting I mean inner axles are pitted, u joints, steering components, wheel brarings and seals, maybe ball joints on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did not think about whether this included new bearings and seals. I was thinking that this seemed high considering I could buy the gears and install kits for a quarter of this quote. The guy I talked to might have been confused too, he asked me if this was a Dana 60 front and a 14b after questioning if it was 4x4. I answered that it was GM 1-ton. Go figure.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I pay $100 for labor plus any parts. It's nice to have friends that do gears. :D

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The total cost was just over a grand for the only shop in the area to do the gears on my front axel. They had to replace a few other parts on it too. That $1000 did not include the gears or intall kit. I think I was over charged because that shop is the only place in the area that would even touch an axel and they knew it. :rolleyes:

7. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

If you bring in all the parts new, I know a place here in SLC that will set it up, and hand it back to you for $150.00, great customer service, very experienced (30+ years axle building) and can do almost anything custom as you want it!

Rocky mountain axle LTD.