Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much for a new exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rasberry, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I need new headers, pipe, and mufflers. Mine leaks everywhere and doesn't sound very good. How much for a new system?

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

LMC Truck has an exhaust system for $179.00 - no headers, exhaust in a box. Will bolt nicely to a set of "shorty" headers (Summit racing - roughly $200.00 I believe). If you didnt want the mufflers that come with the LMC exhaust I would go with flowmaster 40 series. (Jegs or Summit - roughly $75.00 each)
    www.lmctruck.com
    www.summitracing.com
    www.jegs.com

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I just paid $249 to a muffler shop in Omaha to do the work. (Mad Hatter Muffler). Good, honest shop. Several people recommended them and they were half the price that Midas quoted me. I left the stock exhaust manifolds in place, but they replaced everything else for a dual exhaust it looks great. This is the only type of work I will farm out and it's well worth it. Professional looking hangers, good bends and a guarantee.

I hope this helps.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

It will vary alot depending on what exactly you want (type of headers, mufflers, and pipe) what size, etc. And how much of the work you are going to do yourself.

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, im guna put a dual exaust on my truck, gawd damn Y-pipe in the crouch of the Y-pipe, just a little hole, but anough to piss me off, and probly prevent me from passing emmissions. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. but yea im gunna try to keep this one held together untill july, and i hope to god that it passes emissions. then take it to the shop and have them put dual's and stacks on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got mine from midas for 300 dollars.i had to buy headers before i took it in.got some for 79 dollars so about 400 dollars for the system.

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

dont go to midas if your planning to toss out the cats a decesent local shop should be about $300 minus the headers you can pick up elcheapos for less than a bill /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i hear that elcheapo headers leak like a bitch tho. at least that is what ive heard /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. i wanna put 50 state legal headers on my truck, and put a dual exaust on the truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but i will have to put catalitic converters on it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

my exhaust was almost $700 from start to finish...dual headers, cats, mufflers etc... I'm happy with it as long as the heating problem on 1 side isn't caused by the exhaust...if it is well then I'm not happy....

it was done at a local shop- that has a lifetime guarantee on all their work..every pipe, etc...as long as the person owns the vehicle...my headers dont leak- but they weren't el-cheapo.....the mufflers are flowmaster's...

Brandy

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey.. I was thinking the exact same thing as you last week. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    My headers were leaking and one of the tubes was completely cracked at the 4 into 1. Header leaks were sounding bad and i'm so happy now i fixed it all and it sounds good.

I got:
    Hooker Competiton headers for first gen k/5 =about $150
    Stage 8 Locking Header bolts =about $40 but well worth it.
    40 series 2 chamber flowmasters= $60 x2...
    I paid $350 total out the door at the exhaust shop which was all new 2 1/4" pipe out the back, Chrome tips were $50 of it and extra thick welded header flanges the guy said he typically charges $50 more for.
    He also said the price difference if i wanted to go 2 1/2" pipe would be about $100 more.
    H-pipe might run about $40 more but i chose to get that later after a driveline e-brake.

...My old exhaust was some cheapy headers with the sliping type flange... That is the exhaust pipe is just flared at the end and the flange can slide along the header and exhaust pipe. After changing a few gaskets mine bent to where they wont seal up or you gotta use extra thick gaskets.
    I got hooker comp headers because mine were cracked and these have a really thick WELDED flange... So when i got my exhaust done i made sure the shop had some of those extra thick flanges and had them weld them to the pipe for the other end meeting the collector gasket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Another thing is the fit is very good on those hooker comp headers for a first gen blazer.... My old headers used to hang down about 5" lower! The bottom shackle bolts used to barely rub on the headers... Now with the hooker comps they fit really good and tuck up almost level with the frame and much futher away from the ground/shackle bolt/driveshaft.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif