Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much for new AC compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, May 28, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

How much for new AC compressor? I have a 76 and the AC clutch is shot. Can I get it repaired or should I buy a rebuilt or new. How much will it cost?

I'll convert it to 134a at the same time myself. There is no refrigerant because the battery tipped and ate through one of the lines.

Thanks.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You should be able to get a junkyard compressor for about $40. Energize the wires to see if the clutch kicks in, check the connections for the hoses, etc.
    Thats what I'm going to do instead of getting raped on paying GM for a new one. Besides, the one I'm going to buy is going to be used for air tools and not A/C.
    And I have no idea whether it would be worthwhile to have it rebuilt. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that subject...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

YOU CAN GET A COMPRESSOR AT AUTO ZONE OR CHECKER FOR PRETTY CHEAP. ALSO PICK UP A NEW ACCUMULATOR AND FITTINGS FOR THE HIGH AND LOW SIDE VALVES. THE ACCUM. COSTS ABOUT 45.OO I THINK THE COMP IS ABOUT 60.00

4. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Check out http://www.naparts.com. They have new ones in their pdf catalog.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

6. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

I would buy a remanufactured compressor. They are designed to be used with r-134a. If you just replace the clutch on your old compressor, it will probably leak because the seals are not desinged for use with 134a. I am gussing you have an A-6 compressor. I think they run about $150-$200 reman.

7. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I just got my ac system in service. I tried a new product called "Freeze 12". I only drove it about 30 min. so far, but it seems to work fine here in AZ. Shop the price, anyone know about this product and how it performs? Service or durability?

rezalB

Built for a purpose.