Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much $$$ for paint???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 19, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My dad's friend is a painter for GM and he quoted me $500 for just the paint, this is a basecoat clear coat paint, is this a normal pricce?? he said the clear coat was like $175 per gallon is all this normal price????
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

that dosent sound right. alot of places deal with insurance companys so they can get away with that kinda stuff. some guy quoted me 5 grand for a paint job. another at maco quoted me 700

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well yeah, but maaco sucks. There are some paint jobs that are worth $5k. I'd never get one on a k5... but show truck types prolly would...

j

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

im in the same boat.. i got a quote for $1500 and $2300.. HELLO IT IS A MUD TRUCK !!!! but the wife wants it to look nice... so Maaco said... $200 + $75 since it is a pickup + $150 each door jam but they wont paint the inside.. All I need is the lower dash done as I am going to ryno line the inside.....
    also those quotes were with NO prep work... Well screw all of them... Im going to buy all new body panels and get it painted via Maaco or con my father into doing it.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

97cents a can at Wal-Mart. $20 will get you several coats. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    97cents a can at Wal-Mart. $20 will get you several coats. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

been there done that... then oxidizes over time and looks like crap.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

When I bought the PPG Base/Clear paint for my ElCamino 2 years ago the Base was close to $375/gal and the Clear was $170/gal.

That stuff isnt cheap anymore /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 85mudblazin

That why I want mine painted, I painted it flat black and it looks worse and worse evrytime I was it. So does 500 sound right just for the paint??

9. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    That why I want mine painted, I painted it flat black and it looks worse and worse evrytime I was it. So does 500 sound right just for the paint??

[/ QUOTE ]

yup sounds right to me... it will cost me about $1000 plus my $600 in new body panels...

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

My dad's friend is a painter for GM and he quoted me $500 for just the paint, this is a basecoat clear coat paint, is this a normal pricce?? he said the clear coat was like $175 per gallon is all this normal price????

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds about right to me. i was qouted around 600 a few years ago to respray the hood and roof. mine is oxidized beyond repair. the P/O didnt wax it. BTW that included all prep work. base/clear coat paint is pricey, especially when you have the dealer do it.

11. 85mudblazin

Its my dad's good friend so he said he would only charge me about 600 to do everything which I think is a good deal but I donno if I want to spend that kind of cash to just have it get scratched up.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just re-rattle can it. Then use the money for something else...

13. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK seriously. I painted one of my trucks once and had about $350 in materials (paint, hardner, cleaner, etc.) I've seen several nice paint jobs recently (on our style K5s and trucks) that ranged from $1400 to $2000 but that included stuff like new grilles, door seals, windshields, pinstripes, fender trim, lower panel molding, window seals and door jams painted plus bodywork. I had my ext.cab s10 painted for $1100 but that was new grille, removing all molding (factory, and stainless rocker panels-guy said that took him two days with a small torch /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) Fix a front fender pushed back (deer) and extensive work on the bed side at the gas tank(old man backed into me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and a few other dings. I had a guy quote me a paint job on one of my K5s the other week for $500. He said somekind of paint that was very tough but shinned very nicely and was easy to go back and touch-up/match (can't remember what it was). It was about $100 a gallon.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

10 years ago i bought basecoat/clearcoat paint and everything needed back then cost me $450.00. Make sure you are getting all the hardeners, reducers, fisheye removers, and anything else that is needed. If you are getting all that for $500.00 that is a screaming deal.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Just re-rattle can it. Then use the money for something else...

[/ QUOTE ]
    What is with the rattle can "vibe" lately?....seems that those comments are getting more and more common. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    That sounds about as intelligent as the good 'ol "just get a 14BFF and forget about it" theory. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Besides, flat black is too nipper carish for me. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

he is worried about scratching it, so if he uses rattle can, he can just re spray it where the scratches are...

17. 85mudblazin

thats what I did and since I painted my truck abuot 3 months ago and when I painted the scratches the other day it looked like sh$t because the paint had faded thats why I want something with a clear coat so that it doesnt fade as much.
    Would gloss rattle can fade much?? that might be a option also.

18. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    he is worried about scratching it, so if he uses rattle can, he can just re spray it where the scratches are...

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember those days.. I scratched my truck and a guy was like.... See off roading scratches your truck.. I smiled and said... you are right.. as I shook up a can and painted over it... the look on his face was priceless... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If you dont care for rattle can paint jobs,you could go to a farm supply place like Tractor Supply and get a gallon of farm tractor paint for around 20-30 dollars--I painted my van ford tractor blue at least 6 years ago,it has held up well,hasnt let much rust grow back under it(I didnt get too fussy with the preperation)and though it didnt have much gloss,mostly because I thinned it with Naptha like the can said,I learned thar regular enamel reducer would have given more gloss.Most auto paint stores carry "Fleet Colors" in a less expensive brand like Limco,Super-Max(RM)Dulux(Dupont)and there is always good old rustoleum at home depot for around 20-30 bucks too.I have seen Dupli-Color auto paint at auto zone cheap too--but many folks that used it around here were unsatisfied with it,I dont see it there anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What kind of prep did you do for the rattle-can job? I rattle canned my truck 5 years ago and it still looks good...no oxidation or nothing. It's all in the prep...