Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much for TBI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Chris, Dec 28, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

how much do TBI setups usually sell for? throttle body, manifold, egr, distributor, coil, ECM w/ chip, wiring, fuel pump..... everything, even redone heads, newer cam, lifters, pushrods, & rockers.

so, how much would this setup in really good condition usuallly sell for?
    what about the entire engine ready to drop-in with 10k on rebuild, w/ all tbi setup?

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure who sells such setups. For a retrofit kit for an older motor places charge $750-$1000. That's for an adapter to an existing manifold, TBI, fuel pump, computer, harness, etc.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

A couple guys here have bought the customefis set up and have been happy with it. It is what I plan on doing when I get my body done and go get an engine. I think right now he charges $850-900.

4. Mastiff

I was not especially happy. You can read the whole story on my web page (linked in sig).

5. convertaburb

convertaburb Registered Member

I have a set of heads/intake complete with ditributor, throttle body, egr, etc,/ecm, basically everything but wiring harness. All parts came off a running engine and I would be willing to sell.

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

actually, i have a 91, so i already have tbi. i was wandering how much i could get for it if i sold it. i want TPI.

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

id be interested in eveything except the manifold and heads

8. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

where in texas are you? i might be interested in the whole setup.

9. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

it wont be soon. i was just wandering to try to plan out how much itd cost me to do the swap. im in houston.

what would it be worth to you for anyone that's interested? it would be complete with everything, maybe not wiring. i even have an extra throttle body.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

That's an excellent write-up. Thanks.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

You could probably find a multiport setup for a couple hundred more than the tbi

edelbrock makes a complete system(MPFI) for little over 2 grand. comes with manifold, fuel pump, tbi or mpfi, computer, and fuel lines.

The tbi setup should b somewhere around the same price depending on how big ur tb is and wut manifold u want.

I have an 88 k5 with a 77 block 350 with and the old camel hump heads and all the hot rod bells and whistles..... just put a holley projection efi manifold and holley 2bbl 670 cfm tbi for about $550. The tbi is setup out of the box for max of 275 hp but will support alot more if u get the fuel/air ratio remapped or put a high pressure fuel pump in.

You don't need new heads for a tbi system or a mpfi system but im guessing it would be around 2000-2800 for the whole thing.

ebay has good deals on ecu's and heads and pretty much anything u need.

12. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

im not asking how much it'd cost me to swap to tbi......... because my 91 came with tbi from the factory, i'm asking how much i could SELL the complete setup for......

13. Mastiff

I'm changing the subject a little since it's kind of dying out anyway...

You guys who swapped to EFI from carb, did you use an inline fuel pump, or swap the tank for an EFI model with in-tank pump? I have the inline right now and wonder if I'll have problems down the road. Seems like if I'm going up hill and I get a burp in the fuel line, it might never get started again since the pump needs gravity feed to get primed...

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I went with the stock in-tank setup.

Some people mention the reliability aspect, which there might be some truth to, but then again, some with inline pumps have a lot of run time on them with no issues. I don't like the inlines just because of the noise, at least the ones I've heard.

TBI senders aren't TOO hard to find, especially if you aren't in a hurry, you should be able to get a tank/sender for a decent price. Of course, I'd not expect the tank to be good (broken baffle about 75% of the time it seems) but even $50 if the sender works is not a bad price.

I don't believe the inlines need to be gravity fed, but they don't like running dry, I know that much. I have a feeling many of the durability issues that have arisen are due to how they are mounted more than them just being failure prone.

Still, EFI tank in the pump should be a bit quieter, last longer, and work a bit better, but unless you can compare back to back, thats pretty hard to say with absolute certainty.

15. Mastiff

Hmm, yeah, I'd like to get an in-tank setup some time. What I did learn when debugging my TBI install was that if the pump had no gas, it couldn't even pump gas up to prime itself from a bucket directly under the frame rail like 12" away or maybe less. That's why I figure that if the line gets a little air and the tank is below the pump (like pointing uphill), you may be out of luck.

My pump doesn't make any noise that I can hear with the motor running. It's mounted to the frame with 1/4" of rubber around the pump body. The good thing about it is that if it goes south, I can carry a spare and replace it in 10 minutes.

16. dyeager535

Well, like you discovered with the bucket, installation is probably the key to success/failure. Ideally I believe those pumps shouldn't have to "pull" the fluid vertically hardly at all, but that is sometimes hard to accomplish based on the frames, etc.

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

if your talking the stock system then not very much. after market systems lose a lot of value after about month of use. A stock system that is 14 years old would be pointless to sell. Id say keep it for spare parts.

18. dyeager535

Yeah, only $300 or so, if complete.

It doesn't matter the age, people want EFI.

19. Mastiff

Hey, I might be willing to take the spare throttle body off your hands if it's in decent shape. I'd only offer $25 or so though. I think they generally go for $25-50 on E-bay, but it's been a while since I looked.