Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much for this job?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shewheeler, Jun 7, 2001.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Hi All,

This is my first post on this board. I'm a regular at off-road.com/chevy forum and posted this there, but didn't get too much response. I hope you don't mind my posting a truck question here but frames are frames, right?

The frame on my 77 K-10 has previously been broken/cracked and welded. I bought ORDs steering box brace thinking that it would be a good thing, but I was unable to install it because of the crappy welding job that was done previously. A friend came over to look at it and said that in order to fix it right, the following would need to be done:
    1. remove the steering box
    2. grind off all the old welds
    3. fab a plate or some other sort of reinforcement
    4. weld it all up again
    5. reinstall the steering box
    6. install the brace

I really want to get this fixed and will have to pay someone to do it. Question is, how much time do you guys think it would take and what would be a reasonable price (as a side-job)? I want to have some sort of an idea of what to expect. Or, does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks!

Cheryle[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shewheeler on 06/07/01 06:29 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Myself, I would allow a whole day to do the job right. IF you are set up with air tools and grinders it shouldn't take too long. The question is how long to drop the steering box?

I imagine it could cost a couple hundred dollars.

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I know there are some members on this board that live in Hollister,or near that could give you hand...Save you some $$

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A buddy of mine owns Bent and Twisted in Chico - Do you want me
    to get a quote from him? Or give Mike a call. Chico is not too far away....
    I will vouch for his work and rates. He has been in the TTC and he is an official
    tester for Highangle Driveline. And he has an awesome F**d Bronco.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bentandtwisted.com/>http://www.bentandtwisted.com/</A> (530)342-3003

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

5. shewheeler

Thanks for the offer 96C4and91K5 (did I get it right? long name[​IMG])
    Chico's about a 4 hour drive for me and with gas prices the way they are, it'd cost me about $100 just to get up there and back!!! Maybe I'll give him a call tho just to see what kind of time is involved. Thanks again!

If I had it my way, I'd be doing this stuff, but I think I'm "mechanically challenged"[​IMG]

Cheryle[​IMG]

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in Pacifica and it is worth the drive to have peace-of-mind and a shop I can trust. And you don't want to have someone screw the frame up. Wait for the other mid-Ca folks,
    they will have ideas. I know one of them fabricates bumpers so it would be a no-brainer for him. (gokartergo, Burt4x4 are 2 of them) Someone will answer....
    Yeah the name is getting old logging in also.... wish I could change it.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Howdy. What color is your rig. I'm in Hollister also. We have some really good welders around here. Gabilan welders first off. PM me. I could meet you there some time. Are company does a lot of work with Gabilan welders...Dan

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well since you already bought the kit you don't have to fab anything just remove the Steereing box.........Rind down welds so plate will set against frame flush and weld in place....Re-attach steering box.....All done......

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You shouldn't need to fab a plate. There are aftermarket reinforcement plates available for about $60 that are formed to fit the frame rails quite nicely. You remove the steering box, (then in your case, clean up the mess left by the previous "repair") then weld the plates to the frame rail. One goes outside the frame rail and one goes inside. For best results follow the directions exactly, they even specify what welding rod to use for the job. Bolt the steering box back in place.

Now you can install the ORD steering brace, as it does fit with the frame reinforcements properly welded in place.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You know that if you get this done by July 13th and living in Hollister it is your duty as an American to attend Blazerfest :)

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

11. shewheeler

Dan -- My rig is many colors[​IMG]. It used to be silver, but now it's oxidized silver with grey primer stripes down both sides where the mouldings were removed. I've got all my kc lights covered with smileys, chrome roll bar, chrome brush bar, otherwise, just your basic ugly ol' Chevy. What's yours look like?

frizzlefry -- Blazerfest? at Hollister Hills? That would be very cool[​IMG]

Cheryle[​IMG]