Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much gear oil required for the 203

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by grendel, Jun 11, 2004.

1. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Mostly said in the heading.

How much should I be putting in?

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

95 gallons should about do it.

J/k
    I can't remember exactly but I belive that I pulled on of the bolts in the Pto cover that was just below center line of the cover. Pay attention to your breather becuase this might be a little much and it will push some oil out of the breather.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Zero gear oil for a 203....You use 10W-30 or 30W motor oil in a 203. Gear oil is to thick for the chain. As for how much, you start filling in the filler hole with the back wheels off the ground and when the oil starts coming back out at you, its full /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Zero gear oil for a 203....You use 10W-30 or 30W motor oil in a 203. Gear oil is to thick for the chain. As for how much, you start filling in the filler hole with the back wheels off the ground and when the oil starts coming back out at you, its full /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention... this is in a doubler... which is why I asked here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My 203/205 will be getting gear oil, unless someone tells me it's not a hot idea.

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

80-90 is what ORD runs and recommends.
    You are correct in the fact that the 203 had several different specs thru the years for oil. Heck even the last few years of the 205 had a spec. from the factory for ATF IIRC.

6. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    80-90 is what ORD runs and recommends.
    You are correct in the fact that the 203 had several different specs thru the years for oil. Heck even the last few years of the 205 had a spec. from the factory for ATF IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how much? Fill plug is quite high...

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We usually recommend filling to the fill plug but you're right, it is pretty high. If you're within an inch with everything fully coated and the all the bearings full, etc. full it'll be fine.

I have a feeling most gearboxes in general are overfilled, I know the 205 only calls for 5 pints or so which really isn't much oil. It's nice to have a little extra to make up for leaks and for coating the parts and filling cavities.

Whatever you run in your diff is what you should put in the 203, the factory specs are out the window now that we don't pump the lube anywhere, it's all splash lubricant and 80-90 or better works great for that.

8. grendel

grendel 1/2 ton status

Filling this thing is a PITA.

I have a liter of 85/140 synth in there now. I guess I'll keep going.