Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much have we changed?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pure Insanity, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the other nite about how much this site has changed my perspective on rigs.

When I first stumbled into CK5, I had plans for shaved handles and locks w/ late model flush mount S10 handles mounted in the bottom of the doors, shaved marker lites, emblems, drip rails, pearl coat paint and graphics and a fully detailed out underside. Hey, Im a body man at heart (even tho Im a mechanic now) and wanted a show quality rig, but still planned to run it hard.

Fast forward to today...PI still sits w/ NONE of the above done. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif And no intention on doing most of it anymore. Ill still shave the emblems and drip rails. The emblems just cuz I dont like them, and the drip rails are rusting off anyhow so I may as well just get rid of them. The handles were a cool idea, but the lock cylinders would just get packed full of mud, and shaving the marker lites wont work just incase I hit somethin, itll look bad enuff I guess, but the ghost of the lite showing thru would be BAD.

PI will be done 1 time fairly nice but I wont get carried away. Whatever happens after that is collateral damage.

Its all about form and function...forget the flash! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How has your outlook changed? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

You know, now that I stop and think about it......I am the same way. Function is priority on the 4x4's. If it does not help it wheel, it does not go on (Or get cut off.)

All the go fast look pretty stuff is on the Chevelles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The vision of my K5 I had in my head has really changed sence hanging out here on CK5. I wanted the pretty mall poser rig at first, but you people helped me see the light. Becouse of what I've learned from everybody here, I took a look at what mods would best suit my needs, not my wants. Thank you everybody !! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Wow I was thinking the same thing.
    I'm about 90% done on the K5 and my buddy said how long are
    going to keep this one? I smiled because in the last 6 years
    I have had 5 lifted trucks. I remember when I first found this site it was cool to see Steves K5 with the minor trimed fenders and saying wow I could never do that to mine.
    Now the K5 has the fenders cut and the inner linners cut
    rear seat gone drilled holes in the roof to mount my CB.
    I just wonder what is next in the line of Chevy truck building cause it has come a long way from when this site first started.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was gonna sell my rig til I found CK5, because(<-----Z3PR, notice the (a)LOL)I didn't think there were any aftermarket parts and there wasn't alot, Oh heck I'm a' gettin all teary eyed now.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep same here I had high hopes for a show truck. Now I am selling my nice aluminum rims for some steel to go with my 1 ton gear. I leave the top off in the rain cause I am ripping out the once perfect carpet I used to try and keep clean and dry. This is all just the beginning to I imagine. Oh well functional is way better...my wife doesn't think so but it's not her toy LOL.

-Brian

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My view have both changed and stayed the same. Back in the day before CK5 I was like 3" lift, running boards are fine, 33's maaaaaaaaybe 35's, L/S front and rear, 10 bolt rear, and I would be just fine.

I never was a nice paint job, super nice truck guy. I have always used my truck and was more about function.

Now I have lockers F&R, 14bff rear, 35's are here and ready for trail running, 37" MTR's or 38" TSL are my next tire, running boards gone, rocker integrated sliders are on the way, new HD bumpers & winch in the future, cut fenders, full cage coming, etc.

I have went a long way from 33's, 1/2ton's, and L/S's are just fine in about 1.5 yrs.

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

CK5 opened me up to the ideas of fender grinding. Whithout that knowledge i would have never had gotten my tires on the luv to clear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I've always rated a rig more by how it functions more than how it looks,but,I do have to admit that I thought about a wash&wax job before Tellico. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I went from trying to make my truck look good for the ladys but screw itI havent found any,and i love wheelin so the camo paint went on the winch and lights went on.
    black rims,ultra flat camo paint RULE!!

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I rebuilt one blazer before I found the site. My silver blazer. Its a DD and I love it to death and would not know what to do without it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (I asked to be baried in it, there's no other place I would rather spend eternity /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    Once I was on the site and started seeing the trail rigs and rock crawlers I was like DAMN these people have GOT TO be nuts (I think one of my first posts says that too). But I have been here over a year and about 4 months ago I purchased a second blazer to start cutting up and making that trail rig. I want to be able to go out and drive and not worry about scratching the paint or denting the new fenders from the first rebuild /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

SO I guess I got caught up in what is the CK5 addiction. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

My bank account has suffered since I found this site...

13. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I actually had some money before I found this place.

14. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

My addiction went the other way. I came in with the bigger is better bug and a history of going too far. 44's, 550+ horses, longbeds, 4 doors, totally useless for 90% of what you encounter but it pegs the jaw drop, head twist, finger pointing meter in town.
    Now I see what can be done with less and still be able to take the fam. (5 of us) and pull the trailer. With less parking issues. It's fun to watch others test out stuff and give a report of what does and doesn't work. Saves the resources for this full time student. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Thanks to all of you who are not blue.
    As soon as I get the funds, I'm orange. I promise. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HEHE I figured there were more around that this site has affected. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But in a good way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I remember when Wayne first found this site I was like how the hell can you possibly spend several hours a day on there. That was about 2 years ago. Then this post got started about a support group for those addicted to this site and I registered to start my own support group. One for those of us who were married to those that were addicted to this site. Well.....now I am just as addicted. I even remember when Wayne bought his /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I swore I would never drive it. It was a boat to me and I wanted nothing to do with it. Then he made the biggest mistake he could possibly make. He made me drive it home one day. Well that was just the begining for me. I was hooked. After that, I stole his truck every chance I got. Hell I even had several compliments about it when I was driving it. Then he lifted it and I was screwed. i could barely get in to it much less drive it. So we started talking about buying me one. Then about 2 weeks before our 8th anniversarry, we had the deal of a life time fall into our laps(my current /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif) Needless to say, we jumped on it. It was suppose to stay stock. We took it wheeling (stock) 2 weeks after we got it and that changed all of that. I started wanting to play like everyone else. I didn't want to be little any more. So we tossed around a few ideas....changed plans a few times...and here I am today. I now own a 90 Blazer that has 1 ton axels, 35's and a 3" Tuff Country Lift. With many more changes to come.

WOW!!!! And I think back to when life was good and I was normal. Wait......life is still good (be even better when my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is driveable) but I am far from normal. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

17. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but I am far from normal

[/ QUOTE ]

There IS life after K5...