Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much heat is too much - torching off spring perches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djohnsn, Sep 5, 2002.

1. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

The shop that I used to remove the spring perches from my 14-bolt torched them off. They said that they had to use "a lot of heat". These were the solid perches (82 van 14-bolt). The floor had melted chunks of metal all over it. How can I tell if my axle housing is damaged from too much heat? Is damage likely?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Take a reliable straight edge and check the opposite (bottom) area of the axle tube. If the heat was excessive enough the tube may have distorted. If the straight edge shows anything other than a dead straight tube you can confirm if the tubes are now bent and how much by measuring the inside dimension between the drums at the top and the bottom. Ideally it should measure the same top and bottom...

I have a 14 under my truck and another in the carport and both measure within 1/8" top and bottom of the drum. One has original perches and the other I just removed the perches.

Rene

3. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response Rene. I will check it out with a straightedge and measure between the drums. Why didn't I think about measuring between the drums? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. tRustyK5

I only thought of it while I was replying...

If you do find the tubes are bent a little it can be straightened the same way it was bent. Get the new perches on first though. Apply some torch heat to an area on the opposite side of the axle tube and let it cool...try and approximate the amount of heat that went into the other side originally. The area that you heat will expand as it warms up but when it cools will actually shrink some. It should be enough to pull it back to straight. Heat an area about the size of a silver dollar to start...

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why wouldn't they just use a grinder?

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

time is money---especially in shops---say $50/hr

7. tRustyK5

Arc air is faster...less heat if you do it right too./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I agree... should have used a grinder. I had mine off witha grinder a big hammer in like 15 minutes per perch. Including clean up work to weld on the new perch and clean up where the old one was.

Ken H.

9. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Just cut mine off with a grinder any one have an idea of the distance between perch's should bbe and at what angle for a 6 inch lift? Sorry for butting in but seems like good information being put out so thanks.....