Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much horse power are you guys and gals running with a 700R4?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doonjumper, Apr 1, 2001.

1. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Just curious to see how much horespower a 700R4 can handle. Please give a minimum/maximum amount.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by doonjumper on 04/01/01 11:23 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    350 HO 330hp. Beat the snot out of it. 105KMI hasnt failed yet. My words of advise for 700R's are keep them out of overdrive unless you are using it, and get a cooler. Last you quite a while

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

3. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

if built right they can handle up to 450 horse. corvette servo
    hd clutches, etc etc. horsepower does not kill this tranny though, torque does.

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Not enough yet.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My tranny guy currently is experimenting with this and he has one behind his 500 hp Big block and surprising enough it's been flawless. This is an ocassional cruiser and drag car, but he doesn't run slicks... But the car has hit high elevens and he's hoping for more. I'll also noet it is HIGHLY modified... he has about 1500 in the tranny with parts at cost and he has spent a ton of time doing custom mods to the valve body and experimenting with different valves and springs. So it goes to show you they are pretty good to go for under 400hp... key is keep it cool and get a good shift modification in there... most shift kits don't quite get the right mix of quick shift with out being too quick and hard... the perfect shift will help the tranny last. I beat the living heck out of one he built for my old firebird w/ a 400 hp 355 and 200 hit of nitrious... drove it everyday during the summer and raced it about one weekend a month at the track.... It outlived the car... which was smashed around a telephone pole by a high school kid that bought it off me about 2 yrs ago... I d@mn near cried...

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You said min/max so how about this. 135HP in my 2.8L s-10.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

135hp out of a 2.8L, Wow! What did you do?

Twiztid

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

A whopping, earth shaking, ground braking 180 hp behind my 84 6.2 diesel.

9. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>Hey NK5G, what have you done to get the hp up to 180? I wanna run around 200 hp out of a 6.2 without getting a turbo. Just wondering what you have done to get a 50 hp boost.</font color=green>

[​IMG]

10. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Really? I got that number from an original 84 blazer brochure. Let me recheck that...................

11. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

See my Cherry post above. If you can get in, there are scanned original brochures for all years blazer. I coulda swore that 84 one said 180 for the diesel. I'm having trouble getting back to it to check it out.

12. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<font color=green>it's 130hp, not 180. 230 torque right? not sure on the torque but am sure on the hp.</font color=green>

[​IMG]

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The stupid little thing (2.8L) put out 125HP from the factory. I put on a high flow exhaust and a K&N. Maby 10HP from that is wishfull thinking but it is enough of a difference to feel.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

14. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Could be. Not really sure where I came up with 180. Still working on that.

15. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I used to have 480HP in my 350. But that was not really usefull on off-roading (far too agressive). Took it back to around 380HP. Blew a 700R4 completely apart once with 480. With 380 I just waisted my 3rd. (Do let anybody else drive your blazer but yourself.)

"K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

16. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Engine I have in there right now pulled 350 + on the dyno, and 374 ft lbs of torque. Just put a 700r4 behind it and with a few mods to the clutch pack, Borg Warner sprags, reduced endplay to .005", 093 servo, 19,000 gvw cooler, etc, it should last for a long time. One of the biggest killers to the 700r4 is the heat. Second is driving around in "OD" all the time. When in "OD" the input sprag is engaged all the time. This part takes the most abuse in the 700r4 (18,000 psi applied at start). Also, the shift point to "OD" is right around 45 mph. City driving at 40 to 50 mph will make this tranny want to hunt for OD (with OD selected) and it will shift in and out (3 to 4 to 3 to 4, you get the idea), 3/4 clutch packs overheating, sungear reaction shell cracking. The 700r4 is a good tranny and as with anything, requires proper care and feeding. The TH350, HEI all had bad reputations when they first came out and the 700r4 was no different. Knowing it's limitations and keeping it cool is the key to a good long happy life. This sounds like an ad for the 700R4.......

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Whose 700R4 shifts to OD at 45mph? Mine shifts at 30-35mph if I lose my head and have it in OD on the surface streets.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I think Jet rates them as Max : 450HP/450TQ

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

" Ah.. Hong Kong, home of shiny green suit!"

19. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree... I love 700r4's, but I know them pretty well... wheels your combo should be pretty good as long as the second gear was modified to release quicker... otherwise the third will kick in quick and bind (causing major heat)... although this feels like a good hard/firm shift... that is what happened on my trans... when I got it had a vette servo and all the typical mods... fried big time at about 35k. If modify the servo, you'll need the HD sprag and shell... added those... threw away the vette servo and had custom one put in... added a new stock valve body to modify (old was screwed)... mine shifts like a champ now [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I used to have a truck with a 305 in it with a 700R4. It would try to shift into OD (to answer someone's question) around 45. I put a shift kit in it and a tranny cooler and hauled around a 16' goose neck for a while. That was about 3 or 4 years ago and the guy who bought it for me said that it's giving him some trouble. I figure it's got around 40K on it, maybe more. I like first gear, but I think there's better trannies out there for HD use.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>