Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is a BB worth?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tdcombs, May 23, 2005.

1. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Just curious how much a Big Block Chevy Engine is worth. We bought a two ton 74 chevy truck that we use around the farm for $1,500. Is the engine alone worth that much if i had the oppertunity to buy another?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Depends on the big block, do you know what size it is? Can you get casting numbers?

3. tdcombs

Guy we bought it from said its a 427. I could get the casting numbers but dad has already said i cant take the engine out of this truck, i was just wondering incase i had an oppertunity to buy another truck like this with at BB in it.

4. nvrenuf

$1500 is a lot for an older motor. For me and my area, this price is about the beginning range for a nice, healthy, turn key motor.

Do some research on 366's and 427's from commercial trucks (easily identifiable by a twin thermostats in the water neck) before you get one. These are still good motors but they're not like the "average" car or pick up bbc. The commercial motors will have taller 4 ring pistons (not 3 like a passenger class engine) which dictates a tall deck block and a wider intake. Their heads typically do not flow well over about 4k also.

These are good motors but you probably aren't going to be able to do everything to it that you could a 454 from a 74 Suburban (etc).

5. tdcombs

yes its a comercial engine. Thanks for the info about the engines. I was more curious then anything because i see alot of 2 ton trucks sell with a BB in them for pretty cheep. But from what you said it doesnt sound like that would be a good way to go if i was looking for a BB.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I got a wrecked 78 sub with a bbc for $450.........complete
    After selling some parts and taking the carcas to the shredder, I have less that $250 in the motor, and it has all the accesories, and I still have the rear end, 2wd steering box, and a lot of other little odds and ends......

I'd search a little more before I'd buy a 2 ton truck for the motor. Find something you can strip down and be able to use as many parts as possible. You'll be happier and possably have less out of pocket then you'd think.

7. nvrenuf

Excellent point. :thumb:

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Those truck motor are most sought after by guys building blower motors more than anything. The intake manifold selections are very few also. I would for sure pass on it...especially for $1500

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

366 is nothin to play with. 427 tall deck is a good starter for stroker motor build up. you can fit longer rods in them easyer. and thay make tall deck intakes just not as much of them for choices.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

guess it is worth different prices in different regions... I can get 454's for about $300... turnkey.. dropin.. come hear it run then go pick it up later...

I am thinking about a big block... however having a 1991 caprice police motor is not that great (Cammed for a car) but is a roller motor...thus dunno if I want to do the 454 swap or just go and drop a cam in my motor.....

also a guy around the corner just picked up a fullsize chevy for $1000....
    454 bb
    rollbar
    bushwackers
    44" tsl's on 16.5x14 rims
    12" susp and 3" body lift
    front winch bumper
    and many more parts....
    :cool1:

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

427 tall deck motors are a sought after comodity in this area. The Superstock guys in our club love them as they make a great stroker platform.