Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is a dana 44 worth?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by One_Ton_k5, Feb 22, 2003.

1. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

I want to get a dana 44 to install along with my 14 bolt so I can keep my 4x4. I have 3.73 gears in my open 14 bolt.

I have been looking for a while now and the cheapest seem to be around $200. Is that a good price or should I keep looking?

Finally, is there a difference between an 8 lug and a 6 lug axle as far as strength? I want the 8 lug obviously but if I can should I buy a 6 and then work on the 8 lug conversion or hold out for the 8 lug axle?

Thanks a lot...

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

8 lug and 6 lug, have no differences in strenght, only difference is brakes, and of course lug count, 200 bucks for a d44 is a fair price, if the axle is in Decent condition, If you can bolt up the axle and drive away then its a good price,but if it needs work then pass and hold out for a better deal. you can always shop around, Try to find somone with a POS truck in their driveway or field that is rotting away and ask them if they want to get rid of it. I know where i can tow away a free ford with a HP d44 front, D60 rear, 460 cu motor, 203 case...... also its a highboy. You just gotta search, Ones mans trash is another mans Treasure ;P

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

200 dollars is a pretty good price.i got my 8 lug conversion for 250.so if you can find a 8 lug for 200 go for it if everything looks good.id pull the diff cover and check out the insidde and also pull the wheel bearings to look inside and check that too.like was already said if its good to roll then buy it.even if the wheel bearings dont look all that good its only anether 100 bucks for all 4 of them.and make sure you replace the inner bearing seal also.that will kill bearings quick if you go through water.ask me how i know?? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. chulisohombre

i forgot to ask.what axle do you have now?

5. One_Ton_k5

[ QUOTE ]
    i forgot to ask.what axle do you have now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 10 bolt which I think is the 30 spline model. But it is only 6 lug and even more important it's 3.42:1 :-(

The dana 44 will only be temporary until I get a 60F. It's just for the gears actually, the one I was looking at would need to be converted to 8 lug.

6. chulisohombre

what gears do you need?just wondering.if you find a 3/4 ton dana 44 it will more than likely have 3.73 or 4.10 i have seen.

7. One_Ton_k5

[ QUOTE ]
    what gears do you need?just wondering.if you find a 3/4 ton dana 44 it will more than likely have 3.73 or 4.10 i have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need 3.73's to match my 14 bolt. Then when I get the 60, I'll regear the 14 bolt and put in the detroit to match whatever the gears are in the 60F

thanks

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

The brakes are not different!!!! The backing plate and the rotor is different, the pads, and caliper stays the same.