Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is an in gound lift worth

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 53chevy, Nov 23, 2006.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a garage with an in gound lift. it runs off the air compressor. It has one fixed ram and the other ram is moved my a lever. It looks very old. i'll try to get more information tommorow nad pics. thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if its really old, its worth prettyy much nothing because it is illegal to install. At least in PA you can't install new inground lifts unless they are a sealed air over hydraulic type.

3. 53chevy

This is already installed when i bought the house but if i need to replace it how much would a new one be? thanks

4. 53chevy

Can i pick your mind on inground lifts, i know very little but i think i got a deal on the garage

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry I'm of no help, due to the very rocky nature of my part of PA, in ground lift was never a thought process for us so I have no clue.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

here you cant use em...

Same here in MA--only "grandfathered" ones installed in old gas stations can be replaced AFAIK....they aren't practical for newer vehicles either really..

I know one guy who got one free, when an old Ammaco station was torn down--he put it in his backyard,and used it for quite some time to service his vehicles and farm equipment--but a town official saw it one day,and they made him remove it,saying they are illegal due to them leaking hydraulic fluid into the soil..
    I've never seen one that doesn't leak,and I think you'd be much better off with an above ground lift instead--at least you can fix it if it screws up without having to excavate!...:crazy:

7. 53chevy

The lift came with the garage and works real good(right now), just wanted to see how much it would be to replace it, plus it has the conv. for newer veh.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

its worth free to about 500...
    I used to see nice ones going for 1200... but ever since the electro ones came out old air lifts went in the dump....
    Ive installed one and taken one out... even with a forklift it was a hassle

if it works and doesnt leak... count your blessings... otherwise its just something to trip over in the shop