Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is enough to grind/cut off?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joshinator, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Ive got a 700r4 goin to a NP205 with the figure 8 adapter along with a spacer and a splined collar. I noticed that my output shaft on the 700r4 is a tad too long (1/16" gap between spacer and tranny) for it all to slip together. I dont want to change the output shaft, so i was thinking i could cut off a small peice or grind it off. How much should i remove, just the 1/16" or do i need to remove more? Thanks in advance.
    Josh

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Stupid question, but are you sure you have the right adapter? There is definitely a specific adapter that should fit. I could be wrong though.

If you were to cut off the shaft I would be careful so that you don't get it to hot and burn up the tranny output seal. Maybe just cut a little bit at a time.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I have a 700-205 combo with a 350-to-205 adapter + spacer. You need to trim the shaft just a bit. 1/8? would be plenty. Its not a big deal, and you don't have to remove the shaft from the tranny to do it.

j

4. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

port-a-band

5. Joshinator

Joshinator Registered Member

Thanks guys

Hey Guys, thanks alot, i was thinkin about an 1/8" also, but i needed a little reassurence before i pulled out the power tools on my output shaft.