Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is this 85 worth?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddin_Mavric, May 25, 2002.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I went and looked at a 85 blazer for sale. It has general graber MT 35" tires and 6 inches of lift, all springs in the front and blocks in the rear so the back sags a little. Its got a 350 engine and tranny. Its got an edelbrock (how ever you spell that) carb,weird lookin air filter, little bit more of a cam and a machanic that looked at it said it had higher comp. pistons than stock but he runs it on regular gas. It also has a differnt proformance ignition but i didnt reconize the name and dont know what it was, and bosch platnum plugs.

Now we get to the body.................
    Its covered in roll on bed liner, he put fiberglass in all the holes first so from a distance it actuly looks ok. The interior is pretty ruff. the power windows are really really really slow and the drivers side one only works when the door is open. The drivers seat is also stuck in a reclined position and their is no lever to move it with. Just over all the int. and ext. are really in tough shape.

now the rest of the bad stuff.
    When the hubs are locked in it wanders all over the road but when their free it is better. And the tranny has all ready been changed to the 350 and my dad smelled the tranny fluid and said it smelled burnt and then the guy says "well i just had the filter and fluid changed" or somthing to that efect. So my dad thinks that the tranny aint in to good of shape and that he had that changed to try and fix it. and the brakes dont work real good. They cant even lock up the tires on wet pavment but i spun them off of a stop sing with out even trying.

he said he had it for sale for 2 months and for the last 2 weeks he had it with a pciture in the paper askin $2000. when i was there he said he really wanted to sell it that day and said he told the guy last night that he could have it for $1500. So now how much do you guys think this thing is worth or how much should i offer him??? My 2 choices are either buy somthing like this or save more money (i got $2000) and get a newer one in better shape. The only thing is that i really wanted to have 35s or bigger on what ever it is and i figure that will add at least $1000 on to the price of a good lookin one.

I kinda wanted somthin that i can use for a daily driver. But i dont know if this is it. Plus he said it gets 15 MPG and my dad said thats BS with those tires, cam, and carb. And also how would these tires handle in the winter?? I know a guy who has some really wide not very tall BFGs on his truck and takes them off in the winter cause he is all over the road.

well thats all i can think of for now

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com(remove this)

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

first off, please fill out your profile

on the blazer, 1500 with the lift and decent tires would not be too bad, it sounds like it will definitely need some work, so depends on how mechanically inclined you are or want to be, also, are you looking for a trail rig that you don't really care about the body or one to look pretty and cruise the strip, is this going to be a daily driver and your only mode of transportation or a toy/back-up, if you really want it, take into consideration how long he has been trying to sell it, offer less, 1250, and work from there, and lastly knowing me, i would probably try to get it for 1250 to 1500, but be forwarned that will be the tip of the iceberg as this is an expensive sport/hobby, lastly, i don't know where you are at, but finding a newer better one for 2000 or less might be impossible, use the money you save to fix this one, my 2 cents, welcome aboard

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Better listen to your dad, and look around some more. It sounds like it will take a lot of work, and money to make it a safe daily driver. Just off hand you need a transmission, brakes, a lot of front end work, a driver's side seat, and no telling what else. 15 mpg, hahaha.

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

oh yeah, i forgot, i was going to say there is probably a reason it has been for sale for two months, so think about all that needs to be fixed before you make a decision

5. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I'll play the devils advocate here, just to give him anothe point of view.

No matter what you get, you're going to dump a lot of money into it. Is it better to replace your still-in-good-shape-yet-weak-factory-parts with new, after market off-road gear, or is better to replace your busted down parts with after market off-road gear? Either way, it costs the same.

I just bought an 83 K5 for $4000 about two weeks ago. I have already put about $1500 into it by replacing the junk that the previous owner had put in. I saw that it was lifted, so I got all excited, went to the bank, withdrew some money and bought it. I got home, saw that it was lifted with blocks, and immediately spent a lot of money on new springs to replace the blocks. I also had to put new shocks in as well.

So, stock or already modified, you're gonna dump some cash into it. We all do. Nothing is ever good enough. There is always something bigger and better out there.

I say take the risk, buy it. If nothing else, you can thank the guy later on for teaching you a cheap lesson :-) Also, you're young, you have a lot of time to recover. That's the excuse I have been using for 9 years, and I'm still only 24.

6. Muddin_Mavric

I will in the end just want somthing i can take off road and will have somthing else to drive all the time. So i would only have to drive this one till i got somthing else. the big problem for me right now is money. I have completed 1 year at a tech school for machine tool and have 1 year left so after that i will have enought money to easily buy a better one for a daily driver but i would have to drive this one that long. I dont really plane on fixing it up much.

This guy took it muddin and says that he never had any trouble with stuff breaking just the rear u joint in the drive shaft allways wore out.

How much do you think i could get if i parted it out?

I dont think i would even give him more than $1000 for it. He really really wants it sold so he can take the money and stick it into his sub. I was thinking of just offering him 700 or 800.

7. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Offer him 700-800 then, see what he says. The worst that can happen is he'll say no.

You'll have problems with the u-joints and drive shaft. Blazers are about the worst things to lift 6" because of the short wheel base. It's just so cool to have them that high, that's why I decided to go 6" with the new lift.

Have fun with it. These things can go through so much more than 99% of the other trucks out there. They are a lot of fun.

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

id go with the 600 to 800 range, that'll leave you with still a good chunk left over for repair. just to let you know, i bought an 87' for 400 bucks and turned around and spent over 900 bucks just to make it safe to drive and that still didnt solve every thing. the fuel tank/straps had to be fixed/replaced on top of that and i picked some stuff up at a salvage yard to fix other things. well anyways it my brother's now (he talked me out of it). most of the work i had done was the front end. hope this helps and gives you a rough idea what you maybe getting into. one more thing, any time you buy used, you'll never know what you may be getting into.

9. Muddin_Mavric

Thanx for all the replies i gues i will wait and get a more dependable one for now.

Justin Behr

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A junkyard 350 tranny is only a few hundred dollars. Find out what is in the differentials and whether or not the axles are stock. It may wander with the hubs locked because it has a front spool or locker. If it has lockers, new gears or bigger axles, that is a big plus. As for brakes, master cylinders, wheel cylinders and calipers are all very cheap for these trucks. You could do all of them for $100 or so. This would be a good truck to buy if you mostly want a wheeler. Remember that a rig with a nice body and good paint costs a lot more and then all of the modifications are more after that. Wheels and tires are easily $1k. A spring lift with shocks is $500. New gears with lockers or limited slips is another grand.

My point is just that if you want a modified rig, it is much more cost effective to buy one already modified as you never get more that about 25% back in the sale of what you spent on parts. Sure you have to deal with the other guys mistakes and preferences, but we all make mistakes of our own, too.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

A few notes... What do you need? Dependable transportation or some fun and less dependability? For the $600-800 range, go for it. The engine is probably not original (not many 85s had a 350). That alone is worth something. I just dropped a nicely built 350 into my 85 and it cost me around $3500 once it was all said and done.

Are you familar with driving 4WD rigs? If you aren't or aren't used to rigs with that much tire, it coud feel awkward driving in 4WD on the street. That may be the issue more than a problem.

15MPG on a carbed engine with the power to spin 35s is a joke. Probably more in the range of 8-11. I get 8-9 (damn near 10 at times) in mine.

To run bigger than 35s, you will need to go to 1-ton axles (or should). That is going to run you some money down the line. And you aren't going to find one with 1-ton axles in that same shape for less than $4 or 5 grand.

No rust is a good thing. While power accessories may be nice, they aren't required. You could get a replacement seat at a junkyard for chump change.

I would say take him $600 cash and see if he jumps. If he negotiates, try to stop at $750. But don't go any higher than $1000. But, it is your money.