Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much is too much?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Sep 29, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

for a cucv bumper and or grill guard?...i`m leaning more towards gettin them and there is a huge swap meet coming up in CT on Oct 15, so i`m wondering whats a good price for these items, either as a set , or single....and if you guys could post pics of them to show me how my rigs gonna look, be my guest:D

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Think I paid $75 or so for a pair of bumpers, used, and maybe $40 for a grille guard (new, old stock).

Price depends on availability -- should be cheap if you have lots of them being parted out where you are, and not so cheap if not :)

Note that a CUCV bumper is just a regular 81+ bumper with some square holes in it for the shackle mounts and for the blackout lights, so if you're gonna be putting one on a regular truck, I'd not bother. The brushguards aren't bad, though, as they go.

-- A

3. NEK5

blackout lights? can i just get cucv shackels then? how much would they go for and what would need to be done?

4. dremu

Blackout lights are a military thing and would just complicate things on a 'wheeler, IMHO. Leetle tiny lights on the outside to run at night with the headlights off so the guy behind you in convoy doesn't whack you.

The shackles are nice, sturdy. They go onto square tubes, maybe 2" x 1.5", and ... I think .187 wall. These tubes then poke through the bumper and mount up to the frame... hmm. Lemme see if I have pix.

Here's a set on my '74. Note that the frame horns are different on 73-80's so I did some modification... and note that this winter, I'm tearing it all out and putting in STURDY bumpers with new shackle mounts :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the front on my '85, which IS a CUCV. Pix aren't so good for this purpose, which why I included the '74 hack job above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Make more sense?

If it were me, I'd get the CUCV shackles -- I think the going rate on Ebay was like $35 for the pair, which is too much IMHO -- and maybe a brushguard, but pass on the CUCV bumpers. The shackles can mount to a nice aftermarket/custom bumper with appropriate tab mounting. Or onto your existing bumper if you :hack::grind::weld:But by that point you'd be better off doing a new bumper. I'm gonna use some 2x8 rectangular tube :deal:

-- A

5. NEK5

so if i had tabs, i could mount the shackels to the bumper? so if i got diy4x`s starter bumper, is it possible to put tabs on that to mount the shackles?

6. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Can't you use crane shackles? They are cheaper then 35 bucks a pop. atleast they are where I work.

I got a deal on two 5/8 shackles with a working load limit of 3-1/4 tons. It cost me 5 bucks total because I got employee pricing. i don't know the size of those shackles, but these the available sizes from crosby, and I betcha other GOOD companies carry the same or better specs.

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nominal[/FONT] Working Stock No. Weight Dimensions [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] tolerance[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Size (in.) Load Each (in.) +/-[/FONT][/FONT]
    Limit (t)* G-2130 S-2130 (lbs.) A B C D E F H L N C A
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5/8 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3-1/4 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019490 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019506 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.68 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.06 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].77 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.38 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].63 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.69 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.50 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.19 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.94 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].69 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].13 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].06[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3/4 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4-3/4 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019515 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019524 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.72 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.25 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].89 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.81 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].75 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.00 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.81 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.97 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.50 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].81 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].25 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].06[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7/8 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6-1/2 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019533 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019542 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.95 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.44 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.02 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.31 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].88 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.28 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.09 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.83 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.03 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].97 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].25 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].06[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8-1/2 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019551 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1019560 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.66 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.69 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.15 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.75 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.00 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.69 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.38 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6.56 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.69 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.06 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].25 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].06[/FONT]

* NOTE: Maximum Proof Load is 2.0 times the Working Load Limit. Minimum Ultimate Strength is 6 times the Working Load Limit. For Working Load Limit reduction due to side loading applications, see page 68.

† Individually Proof Tested with certification.

‡ Furnished in Anchor style only. Furnished with Round Head Bolts with welded handles.

I got all of that off the website http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/productcatalog/maininterface.htm

go there, and just go the the shackle you would like to see. there is much more info in there, I didn't want to copy paste it all. everything about the coatings they receive and pressure treatings and such other shinanagins that go on in that factory.​

P.S. this is a Canadian company, but there are other places around that can hook you up with cheaper shackles. Just go to an industrial tool supplier with a walk in order desk. They would definately have them. and may even give you a deal if you sweet talk them. That's what happened at my old work.....​

I bet this helps you in no way shape or form. but definately try and go with an unused shackle. I worked as a the receiver at my old job, and I saw some e shackles that were bent and broken, and I would hate that to happen to me.​

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  7. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Is that front receiver from a manufacturer or a custom jobby??

8. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

The military bumpers are nice, try to get all the mounting hardware with them if possible,also the shackles are different than the industrial ones out there.

IMG00006.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

9. NEK5

ok, so even if i got just the shackles, i am still gonna look for a new bumper,a paintable one, because the chrome one on there now is in too good of shape to paint....what does all the mounting hardware consist of so i know what to look for?...

10. dremu

Warn.

-- A

11. NEK5

what is the thing in the middle of the rear bumper?

12. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Pintle hook for pulling a trailer or jeeps out of the mud:D

13. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah,all the CUCVs have a pindle hitch.

The mounting hardware that I was referring to is mainly the frame brackets,they have spacers built on them and tie everything together for strenght. If you look at Dremus picture with the receiver hitch/no bumper you can see them I think.

IMG00004.jpg

14. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Hey MEK5, what kind of rearend is that?

15. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Its a Eaton from a 68 2WD 1ton, came stock with 5:13s and a Detriot.

16. NEK5

now i`m thinking about just getting the front, unless if i find a real good deal on a pair......the fronts don`t have the black out lights right? and if i got the front, i need to make sure to get the frame brackets? anything else i should look for?

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Fronts have blackout lights, too.

18. NEK5

any idea on what dremu referred to as making things complicated, as far as the blackout lights are concerned? i dont need them right? or

19. dremu

You don't need them, no. Just means an extra hole in the bumper or a useless thing hanging there (that's almost sig material, there!) ... no point in wiring them, but again, if you want these for your 'wheeler, you should really be thinking about a real, custom/aftermarket bumper.

-- A

20. NEK5

well i`m just looking for a different look on the front of my 90 blazer, 95% DD 5% Wheeler......but if i cant find what i`m looking for at the meet i`m going to on oct 15 in CT, i may get the starter bumper from Kert at DIY4x