Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is too much

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ79K5Project, Nov 3, 2006.

1. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I have 308's in my 79 - K5. I am running 33's with 4" lift. I want 373's. I am not going to go to D60's and 14b for a couple of years at least. I have a line on a complete 10b front Warn hubs and with 373's that was rebuilt last year. it has a lockright locker installed. The axle is around a 90 or 91. I thought I read that the 10B front was weaker after a certain year. I couldn't find the thread I was looking for.

3 questions:

What is a fair price to offer (the asking price is $250.00 - is this low/high or in the ball park)?

Are there better or worse years for the 10b or were they all the same since they were built?

I have flat top knuckles in the garage for the 10 bolt on the truck, will these work on the newer year 10 bolts (this axle)?

Thanks for any input...

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If the axle was completley rebuilt then that seems to be a fair price. As to strengths...I believe it was in either 89 or 90 that the 10 bolt fronts went from 28 to 30 spline shafts. The 28 spline shafts may be a little weaker because they neck down more...but the 30 spline shafts are much harder to find and much more expensive. A 10 bolt is a 10 bolt...so whether you have 28 spline or 30 spline shafts, your probably gonna eventually break one with a locker up front if you do anything moderately challenging. I have yet to break one up front on my 28 spline 10 bolt with a lockright (I have learned to go easy on the throttle with my 10 bolt), but have blown up a warn hub.
    -Harrison

3. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. $250 is a fair price?

Anyone know if the old d44 EDIT: FLAT TOP knuckles will fit? I thought the two were universal from inception of the 10B. I don't want to waste my time if anyone knows otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  4. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

It's probably in the ball park. If you like haggling bring $250, but offer less, like $175 or $200.

From late 89 onward they went to 30 spline shafts. Unfortunately they simply bored out the carrier to accomodate them, which weakened the bearing journals. Aftermarket carriers strengthen this area by making the journals thicker and use a different bearing as a result. So, in a nutshell you get stronger shafts but a slightly weaker carrier. I have a late 30 spline axle, and I figure if I break the carrier I can use it as an excuse to get a locker :D

Yup.