Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much is too much?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by dbltapp, Jan 12, 2003.

1. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I am at a point where I need to s#$t or get off the pot, when it comes to my rust. My rockers are gone, but could be replaced with sliders. My fenders are rusty, but could be trimmed. My door sills need work, I have a 8"X1" patch of rust on my tailgate, I need new front and rear inner fenders, and I need to get my frame rust blasted off and the frame re-finished(about 1500$). I guess my problem is I can't make up my mind whether to fix her, or replace her with a 3/4 ton, rust free burban of the same year? I have no body work knowledge, and no where to do it if I did. Any thoughts would be graet, I try and run it by my wife, but when I start to talk to her about it, I get the same look your dog would when you rip a loud a fart! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Thanx again for any help in advance, it takes me forever to get the time to check stuff out after I post. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

maybe you could find a good body with a bad engine and switch the drivetrain over. I wonder if you can ever really fix extensive rust and keep cost below that of replacement.

3. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I thought about that, but I think the cost is going to be about the same, plus I would have to get it shipped.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

if you are looking to have a nice paint job than it might be worth it to get a better body..

i got some inner fenders from the dealer for 115 each /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif at the time it sounded good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tackle one rust location at a time and it will seem less daunting a task. start with the rotting structure stuff first.

i had bad water leaks under the rear carpet from rotting rear fender wells.. i ripped out the carpet and ground down the area with a wire wheel. than i cut up some sheet metal and glued and riveted it in place.(i used polyurethane construction glue from home depot, its the strongest stuff i've ever worked with, dries with moisture and not solvent evaporation. but don't get it on your skin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) that worked well for the back fenderwells..

i filled the inside cavity in the rear body. with poly expanding foam to keep out water and help with the sound.. it took alot of cans but was worth it to stop the spreading rust...

5. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

my burban is rotted through almost everywhere and i dont really plan on fixing it i like to call them speed holes,but i bought it for parts mostly and it drives so im happy i plan on buying an older 3/4 ton burb and just using my interior.i practiced body work on my last sub and it was a miserable failure just FYI gasket sealer will not hold a rocker on for more then a few weeks.
    body work costs a ton of cash and where i am i see a lot of subs getting cheaper as gas prices rise.
    but if the options are fix it yourself or buy a new one id go with trying to fix it,wont hurt anything to try and maybe youll learn something for next time.just dont use gasket sealer to hold body panels on.
    goodluck

6. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well if you can afford to buy another rig then might as well and keep both. That way you can smash and crash the nasty one and you don't have to worry about it. Once it finally bits the big one just remove all the good stuff and use it on the other one which you will have been keeping in good shape. Just a thought.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

Yhea I thought abou buying another and keeping this one, but the other people on my street already complain about my "huge ugly truck". Hey it's not my fault you own a half million dollar home, with no driveway, idiot! On second thought, a second land barge might be a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif