Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much lift can i get out of adjusting the torsion bars

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by deek, Apr 16, 2004.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

my friend has a 98' GMC Z71, & was wanting to get some extra lift, he heard that it's possible to get about 3.5" - 4" lift. then possibly do a short block in the rear. is this at all possible by just adjusting the bars. or are we just insane? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

From what I've noticed with the 88-98 Z's is that the front tires want to toe in when the torsion bars are tuned. But on the '99 and newer ones the tires don't toe in. I have a '99 and have had the torsion bars tuned all the way up and a 3" body since '99 and have yet to any problems with ball joints, CV axles, etc. It could also be that I run stock rims w/35's in stead of going with a wide really off set rim w/31's like alot of the posers around here run.

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i think 3" is pushing it, but cranking em even that much isnt necessarily the greatest of ideas. it puts a lot of stress on the front end, and youre gonna wear parts out a lot faster with even mild offroading. trollporter is the only person ive seen say anything positive about cranking the t-bars (not to discredit, but i think your truck might be a fluke). anyway, if he wants a little lift, body lift it, or better yet, get a small IFS lift /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

when you crank the bars like that you make the front end droop as if it was going over a put hole or going airborne, you go too far and won't have any of that left for the road, and you can always spot those trucks as the tires get sucked in under the truck and there is instentenious vehicle drop on a down side of a bump. kinda looks funny, wonder what ride is like. ifs is known for lack of travel, you'll be cutting that travel even lower.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to mention the horrible angle you will be putting on the cv's...

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

3" with horrible ride and tons of camber.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i cranked mine 2" to level it out, and have had no problems with ride. i didnt notice any change in alignment as far as steering feel, but i havent had it aligned yet, so it could be off. im not real worried about it at the moment since my tires are trash anyways.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You could probably get 3" of lift with the bars cranked all of the way, but it's not a good idea by any means. I would recommend at the absolute most maybe 1-1.5" to level the truck.

9. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yea i cranked on mine just enough so that my tires dont rub anywhere on full flex. i have 15-16 inchs ground clearnce and 33x12.50 xterrains on 16x10 inch wheels. It has been this way for 6 years ive had the truck since i was 15. The only thing is the damn weak idler arms going out but that is commmon on all the trucks unless you get the heavy duty one with 3 holes and drill out the 3rd hole on ur frame. Shocks make a HUGE difference in how ur IFS truck rides on the road. I put rancho rs5000's on mine and it rides like a brand new truck before with no shocks was brain rattling.