Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Much Lift for 35"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bridgeguy, Sep 27, 2005.

1. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

I recently acquired a '74 K5 in rather decent condition. Has some light (not even through the panel when I'm trying to punch through with a screwdriver) :waytogo: rust in the rocker area and one front fender, but haven't dug too deep at this point.

After lurking around here for years and now that I finally have found a smog-exempt, decent Blazer, I'm trying to lay out the "Grand Master Plan". I know, that will change over time, but it gives me something to do. Initially I was looking at 33" tires and a 4" ORD lift with shackle flips and EZ rides. Maybe looking at crossover steering at the same time.

Now, I'm looking at 35" tires as there just seems to be a better selection and, well, bigger is better, right? ;)

Brings me to my question: I was looking at the table that I found here and was trying to get some input as to how high I would NEED to go to get 35" tires under this beast without really asking too much from the D44 and 12B. My wife isn't too keen on my buying new diffs right now, so that's not a real option. Would I risk blowing them on a regular basis using it around town and moderate off-road with the 35's or would I better served with a 4" suspension lift and 33's?

Or would I be able to do a 4" suspension lift, 1" body lift, and not have too many problems with 35" tires?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

While I am happy with the 4 inch and 33's , I am not content anymore . I should of went 35's from the get go ( then I'd want 37's LOL ) .

Driving on them will be fine with 4 inches street , and trim if you wheel . Now gearing will suck if you have 3.08's , doable with 3.73's .

3. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

I'm looking at rebuilding both diffs if I need too. Little thing about getting it running before I worry about the rebuilding thing. At that time, I'm most likely going to be putting in whatever gears are most appropriate as I have NO idea what is in there now. Additionally, don't mind spending for a locker, etc when I do the whole "rebuilding" thing.

But then, am I in so much doing rebuilds on both of them and upgrading with an ARB, E-locker, etc. that I should just buy new diffs now. ARGH!!! :mad: :confused: :mad:

I really don't want to spend lots of money doing it all one way, then deciding that I should have done it a different way from the beginning. So much cheaper to just do it once. Oh well, guess that's the "fun" of it, right? :D

4. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have 35's (Dunlop Mud Rovers) and a four inch lift. I rub a little bit but not too bad. Trying to decide on going up another inch or so or trimming but don't really want to do either. You can run 35's with a four inch lift if it is just moderate wheeling. I have 3.42's in a ten bolt and will be going up to a 12 bolt and 4.11's with a detroit shortly.

5. jdrake19

jdrake19 Registered Member

I'm running 33x12.50's BFG AT's at stock height, no trimming and it is hard to make it rub. Just for reference ;) .

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you have been here this long and havent found the answer to you question??:haha:

man we gotta do somthing about that, i think SOMEONE might have asked befor LOL.

you tire clearance depends on wheel width, and your flex, i have pic of my friends 4" lift k5 with 38.5 boggers but only 11" wide and a stiff suspention.

if your just on the street and dont flex you will be fine, when you flex and full steer it WILL rub, maybe not to bad if you do your 1" bl aswell, trim you might need to grasshopper:D

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the amount of lift doesn't really matter to the axles... how heavy the tires are and how much traction they get does. In any case, to answer the question directly, if I was you I'd go with 4" of lift (springs in front, flip in back) and then trim the fenders a little bit if you need too for the 35s to fit. 4" is a good amount for a K5 IMO... for anything under 42" tires... just need to trim more for them.

time to upgrade! :grin:

depends on how much abuse you plan on subjecting them to. If you don't beat on it or do lots of rocks, they should hold up ok with 35s. shane74 runs that combo of 44/12b and has never busted any axle parts, even with 38.5s.

I like 1" body lifts... a little space between the frame and body is very handy sometimes. It helps clear tires a bit too. I don't like body lifts any higher than 1" though... just my own preference.

ok... get a D60 and 5.13s. :grin: :thumb:

j