Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much lift for 38" tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich, Apr 17, 2000.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

How much lift for 38\" tires?

Hey. I have a '76 K5 that is my "trail use only" vehicle. I'm getting ready to swap the stock TH350 and NP203 for an SM465 and NP205. My question is about tire sizes. I'm going to upgrade to 1-ton axles, and I plan on at least 35" tires. I know a lot of people fit 35" tires with about a 4" lift and some fender trimming. I'm wondering if I can fit 38" or 39" tires with only a 4" to 6" lift and tons of fender trimming. I don't mind hacking up the fenders, and I want the minimum lift needed to fit the tires so it doesn't get too top-heavy.

Do I need to go bigger than 35"? Are 38's or 39's just overkill?

Thanks!

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

2. 84BIGBODY

84BIGBODY Registered Member

Re: How much lift for 38\" tires?

I'm running a 6in. Skyjacker with 36 TSL's and i never rub. Its flex is amazing. When I put it on people told me that the 36's looked too small- if that tells you how much clearance I have between the tires and wheelwell. To answer your question- you can fit 38's with a 6in lift and not too much trimming.
    Erin

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

To answer your question in a nut-shell... yes. If you are only using the truck for trail, why worry about fenders? Sawzall to the rescue. I am running 38's with 4" and plan on running 44's someday with no additional lift. If you wheel hard and off camber, the last thing you need is more lift. I would go with at least 36" tires preferably 38's if you wheel in the rocks at all. A 14 bolt is really low to the ground with 35's. Good luck!

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Check out the webpage "Contagious Racing Online" (I forget the exact url). There is guy with 38" radial Swampers and 6" lift on a Chevy truck that uses it off-road. It might give you a better idea of the fit.

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I couldn't agree more RockBlazer, I run 36x12.5 16" radial swampers with a 4" lift and minor fender trimming for the same reasons. No point in lifting more than you need.

Steve
    [​IMG]

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Just looking at your pic of Urban Assault and thinking of the debate over the low hanging 14-bolt. How much clearance do you have under the lowest part of your diff with 36" tires or have you ever measured it?

Thanks
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I would like to know how much clearance there is also. I would also like to compare it to my 10-bolt and 35's.

8. CK5

I will measure tonight along with the front Dana 44 for comparison. I know it is more than 3" [​IMG]

Steve

9. CK5

OK
    Just crawled out from under the Blazer, There is 9-1/2" of clearance under the 14-bolt and 11-1/4" under the Dana 44. Anyone with a 10-bolt and 33's? just curious

Steve

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Okay I have a Land Cruiser with a Dana 60 in the rear with BFG 35" tires on 15x10 rims and the Clearance under the Dana 60 is 10". I thought some people would like to know.

Donovan