Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much lift in a 4" lift??????????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jacobean, Apr 5, 2003.

1. jacobean

jacobean Registered Member

how much lift in a 4\" lift??????????????

I am instaling a 4" rough country lift in my 74 Blazer. Im not done yet but just checked and I am ending up with 6 1/2" of lift in the front springs... Does this sound correct??
    Icheaped out and bought 4" blocks for the rear for now, and it seems like it is going to be a pretty funky match, even with the 1 1/2" add a leaf I bought with it.

Any thoughts????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Re: how much lift in a 4\" lift??????????????

I've always heard the rule of thumb is you get a minimum amount of lift with whatever kit you buy. 2" you get a min 2" lift. My explorer procomp 2.5" lift sits as hi as my buddies Rancho 4" lift. ( he's pissed) maybe it'll settle /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

when i did my bds i got 5.75 inches, and so far with my drivin its only settled 1/4"

4. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

is the engine in the vehicle? If so then maybe you've got the wrong springs.

Where are you measureing from? you would have to measure 90 deg up from the axle. if your measuring at the very front it will seem higher until you lift the back. Then everything should level out, and the front will be a bit lower.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your old front springs had probably settled alot over the years. If the front settled 1.5" over the years and you add a 4" lift you would actually end up with 5.5" lift from what you had, but only 4" over stock.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You're scaring me. I have the stock 3 leaf setup with negative arch and my used 4" BDS springs have something like 6+" difference between the spring eyes and the axle mounting surface. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with too much lift for my planned home-grown shackle flip in the back. Lift is good, but I don't want to have to go crazy with the shackle and then need monster degreeing shims.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well i ended up with like 6" of lift from my 4" suspension lift from R\C, id say get yourself the rear springs, because my rear springs were saggy as hell and i knew if put blocks under it it would sit retarded. springs on all 4 corners is the way to go man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. agk5

agk5 Registered Member

I installed a 4" rough country with rear springs on my 82 and ended up with about 5.5 inches.

9. blaz90in

blaz90in Registered Member

K20....what size tires you running?and do you have a website for the lift you have?And for those of you wiht the rugh country kit...i heard they ride real shitty...im on my buddies sn and trying to learn as much as possible so when i do lift my stock k5 ill knwo what is the best for the
    money!
    Eric /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im runnin 33x12.5's now gonna do a 2" body lift to clear 35x14.5's, just cuz im too womanly (according to my friends) to cut my fenders. Not sure what you mean a website, pics of my truck are at the link below and bds' website is www.bds-suspension.com I will say bds is one of the best lifts out there, but you will pay more for it.

11. blaz90in

How much was the kit?BDS is located in michigan so it wouldnt be a whole lot for shipping and what not...but nice truck..im on a tight budget and it will be my DD and i think i am gonna run 35x12.5x15 mud rovers,are bfg's muds...it should be fun.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    K20....what size tires you running?and do you have a website for the lift you have?And for those of you wiht the rugh country kit...i heard they ride real shitty...im on my buddies sn and trying to learn as much as possible so when i do lift my stock k5 ill knwo what is the best for the
    money!
    Eric /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Best for the money ??? Tuff Country EZ Rides in the front, and a shackle flip in the rear. I've got 6" Superlift up front, and will be changing out my rear (Getting rid of the blocks) with 4" ORD shackle Flip, and 3" Tuff Country rear springs. I'll run the Superlift front springs this summer too see how they do befor I swap them out for a set of 6" Tuff Country EZ Rides springs. I will say that Superlift's are alittle still, But I've already got them installed.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im not sure about just the springs, but the springs, shocks, stabilizers, shock and stabilizer brackets, boots, bushings, (got it all as a package) was like $1050 or so.

14. blaz90in

Z3PR...i want to get a complete system...but if it will be cheaper to do it peice by peice im all over that cause im a cheap ass...how much do you have into your suspenion right now?im 17 and dont have a whole lot of money to spend(1700 for tires and rims and lift,parents will buy the gears)but if you can let me know on some of the things ill need that would be awesome.
    ERic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 87sm465np208

or you could just get a ROUGH country suspension system for 459$ and goto napa and get the extended lines for 40$ and do that if your so cheap, and well it is a suspension lift, and they got great customer suport /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Z3PR...i want to get a complete system...but if it will be cheaper to do it peice by peice im all over that cause im a cheap ass...how much do you have into your suspenion right now?im 17 and dont have a whole lot of money to spend(1700 for tires and rims and lift,parents will buy the gears)but if you can let me know on some of the things ill need that would be awesome.

[/ QUOTE ] It may not be cheaper too peice it over a period of time, but it'll be easier. Save yourself some money and do it right the first time. I went cheap and got blocks in the rear. I'm now going to a shackle flip becouse BLOCKS SUCK, axle warp is not good. I'm sure a few members can put together a complete lift kit with everything needed. Swanson52 hooked me up last year. Just tell him, or someone what you want, and see how if the price is right for you. I just recomend staying away from blocks.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    or you could just get a ROUGH country suspension system for 459$ and goto napa and get the extended lines for 40$ and do that if your so cheap, and well it is a suspension lift, and they got great customer suport /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] I think he's be better to spend alittle more and get a lift he'll be happy with, then replacing springs at a later date becouse it rides like sh*t.

18. 87sm465np208

yea i guess when your older ride matters more, BUT my truck rides better with the lift kit, go figure, probly because i dont have 4 blown shocks, anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Seams like the majority says Rough Country rides like crap. Not trying to diss you, just relaying what I've seen on here.

20. blaz90in

Alright thanks...im not trying to start a dissing thread here but im trying to find what will work best for the job!
    Thanks Z3PR for all the help..do have any contact info for swanson?