Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much lift is needed to run 35's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klink K5, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

How much lift is needed to run 35\'s

Im building a m1009 blazer and want to put 35x12.5x15 bfg Mud terrains with stock rally wheels on it . Dont want to lift the body at all, Don't want blocks on the back. I was thinking about a shackel flip on back and 4 inch springs up front. Is that enough when your out bashing around? let me know. Also the diesel is replaced by a smallblock so the heavier weight is gone off the front axle. Let me know if this is a good combo or not .Thanks /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Re: How much lift is needed to run 35\'s

try a search, this ones been covered a bunch /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

just hack the fenders, cost effective and it'll look like the other blazers running around here /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

35's will rub a little in the front with 4"s trim the fenders a little and you'll be fine.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ok serious post time:

the ticket would be to have a flexy 6" lift with 35's

I had a not so flexy 6" lift and i had to hack the fenders. i siped my tires without meaning to after i got really crossed up in a ravine.

If you when with a soft 6" front spring, 2" soft spring in the rear with a shackle flip and remount the shocks at each cornor.

Slightly trim the fenders in the front, maybe an extra 2" of clearence in the front. the rear will probably not need it.

Remember to reinforce your steering box area of the frame.

also, with 35" tires, you can get the great goodyear MT/R's which are great all around tires, and still keep the stock style steering.

these mods will give you a very capible rig for the local trails.

6. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

If im flexing the suspension on one side, Will I rip the fender or my tire to shreads? Do I need longer brake hoses. These may be dumb questions, but I have never lifted a truck before. I want to do It Right The First Time /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Also are the stock drine shafts going to work?

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no, those were over sights on my part.

you will need both driveshafts lenghtened, longer brakelines, dropped pitman arm or specail draglink.

I made the mistake of only entending my rear driveshaft, and i blew the shaft. i would have a CV added for peace of mind, IMHO.

8. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Now the next question. How squirlly Is the thing going to drive down the road at 65 MPH. I have a lead foot and I like my vechiles to track straight. Is there going to be a lot of side wall woble to side to side? May be a smaller tire is the way to go. I have not bought nothing yet so I have alot of choices here to decide.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

sticking with the stock axles, the infamous death wobble should not get you. a dual stableizer would really tighten it up, and full hydrolic steering with x-over would be the supreme set up.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

5 inches front, 6 inches rear, 1 inch ORD body, ORD Zerorate on the front wit hthe axle offset forward one inch. Fenders trimmed back to inner fender on front. Just clears on all four tires with no rub. I mean JUST clears. under full stuff on the fronts with the wheels slightly cocked you cannot get your hand between the tire and the inner fender. I am running rather stiff Rancho front springs. Rear is a Shackle flip with 2 extra leafs in a 86 K5 Spring pack a ORD Zerorate and two overloads. The second overload is installed upside down and does a good job of keeping axle wrap in check. It has not hurt compression in the least bit. When I was running 32's with out the Zero rate and without the extra leafs I could get the 32's on stock rally rims to rub the inner fender and there was still a slight gap on the second overload.
    The BFG's are mounted on 15x10 rock crawlers with 4 inches of backspace.
    Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I have 35's and a 4" lift. Fenders need trimed. Drive down the highway @ 65+ w/o any problems.

12. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Should the rear drive shaft be any longer and so forth on the front. Does the transfer case need to be droped to correct any drive shaft angles that could cause vibration? Maybe the best alternative would be running a 33 inch tire. I hate screwing up something that isnt broke Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Man, have I got a deal for you....35's and NO lift on a 2WD....just add 'glass.../forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got 35's and a 4 inch lift.the first gens had a slightly wider wheel opening so no real trimming was is needed for 35's.mine flex's real well and no rubbing.i got a couple pics on my web site.click below and see if you want.click on action pics to see them.

15. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

No problems with 4" on transfer or shafts. Had a 6" on the truck before, and got away with it on that, too. Where in our lovely state are you?

16. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Lift? Who needs lift? I've got a Sawzall!