Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much lift on a 1st Gen to run 35" Tires??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mosesburb, May 23, 2003.

1. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How much lift on a 1st Gen to run 35\" Tires??

How much lift do I need to run 35's on a 72 Suburban?? I have 4" and 33" BFG Mud Terrains on it now, and it looks like 35's would clear, but I would like another opinion on the matter.
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Re: How much lift on a 1st Gen to run 35\" Tires??

I ran a 4" kit on my '72 K5 with 35s and 10" wheels for some time.

3. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you encounter any rubbing?? If so, was it pleasant rubbing or violent rubbing??

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Leading edge of the rear fenders and at full lock the leading edge of the front fenders would rub the tires if bumped. I just shaved a bit off the rear fenders and left the fronts alone.

5. 69k5blaz

69k5blaz Registered Member

I run a six inch superlift on my blaz and the 35's almost look to small. No possible way to rub.

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Like ntaj*ep says, they will rub slightly on the front of the rear wheel wells if anywhere. Front should be OK. I would not go 6 inch for 35s.

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I've got 6" and 35's. My old K5 had 4" & 35's but I didn't take it off road much so I never experienced rubbing. I have heard of some guys having problems with swampers & 6" lift because of the big lugs, but I don't know what their wheel width or off-set is. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My back tires would rub with my bald 33's and a 4" lift. The rear tires are just not centered in the rear wheel well.

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

get some off-set zero rates and move the axle back 1-1/2"... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My 70 that MJF has now had Rancho 4" front springs and a ORD shackle flip plus a offset 1.5" 1" ORD zero rate in the rear and he's running 35"s with no problems. The little shark fin at the front of the front opening had been trimed.

11. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I ran 4" and 35's (BFG MT) on 15x8's when I bought my truck .. even bouncing offroad you'll tag both the front and rear fenders.

With 6" front and 8" rear (to cure the saggy-butt syndrome) I don't rub the tires 99% of the time. The rears are really good. I hope someone got a pic this weekend, but with no trimming, the arc is just right to stuff the tire into the wheelwell with no contackt, this is runing the same tires on 15x10 rims. The arc of the spring is such, that if I moved the axle backwards it would hit the rear of the wheelwell! Surprising on a first gen, no? With the stock springs and blocks (when I bought it), it would bite the front of the opening.

On the front if I'm at full lock on the steering and twisted up, the tires will make contact with the inside of the fenderwell. Nothing dramatic, but you really have to work on twisting the axles to get it there, so I'm not concerned (yet).

Of course when I twist the axles up that way I'm almost always at full steering lock because of the drag link length. Greg can expect a PM or thirteen about his crossover system any day now. I want to make this thing effective when I'm out playing, but still streetable enough to go blasting down the back roads with the radio on and the top down and still have a blast just driving it.

PM me if you have any questions or need pics.

C

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I guess it's different for everyone...
    On my '72 K5
    I'm running 35" BFG mud's on 15x10 rims, skyjacker softride 6" front/ 8" rear springs, and a 1" ORD body lift... and the tires still rub on the rear of the front fenders.
    I thought I eliminated it with the 1" body mounts but i guess not.
    [​IMG]