Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much lift on a suburban for towing?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by hidesertwheelin, Feb 21, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a 90 1/2-ton suburban. it has a350, 700r4, np241, and 10-bolts f & r. I am going to be swapping in a 14B full floater and making the front 10-bolt 8 lugs. My question is how much can I lift the suburban and still be able to tow. I am planning on towing my 74 K5 on a 2-axle trailer. I would like to go 6" lift with a 2" spring and shackle flip in the rear and 35" tires. Will this work? I know the 350 isn't a bigblock but i'll just have to go slow.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

People will probably debate this but you shouldn't tow with a shackle flip. I'd go with 4 new springs. a 6" and 35's won't effect towing all that much but try and find your pair of axles with 4.56's because pulling loads with 4.10's and 35's will be a little tall geared, especially with a stock 350.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'll debate this. i say shackle flip is fine for towing. if you have problems w/ sway, get a rear sway bar. i got mine from hellwig. helps alot w/ sway.
    is this going to be a tow rig only? or a wheeler too. if its just for towing, just get leaf springs, no flip. not nessesary. i would also suggest running a 4" lift instead of 6". it'll handle alot better. you can probly still get 35's under there if its just street driving. 33's will tow better tho. make sure u run a tranny temp gauge before towing with that 700, and keep it out of OD while doing so.

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Make sure you got a nice cooler on it too!

I suggest 4.56s if your gonna run 35s too, actually for A LOT of towing I was recommended 4.56 gears for my 33's.

I can't answer your question about the shackle flip, but I would feel safer with just springs.