Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much lift to clear 2.5 ton top loading axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Jul 3, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I found a set of Rockwell top loaders perdy cheap and I'm thinking about going that route instead of my current 1-tons. I figure I can sell the new (in the box!) 5.13 gears and install kits and my D60/14 bolt for close to what the new axles will cost. I'm just concerned about having to add more lift. I'm currently at about 7". My front consists of BDS 6" springs and the ORD shackles plus the 1/2" for the D60. The rear is 64" springs from a '98 2wd chevy with a home made shackle flip and 2" blocks. Will that be enough to not mangle my gas tank or oil pan?

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I think you might be fine, I always heard around 8 inches, so try it and if it doesnt work get some zero rates

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

there is a local here running them w/ 6" u will need some good bump stops.

4. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

Jeremy is running 5 inches in the springs and then an inch or more in some plates the built to use as spring pads on the axles... so he's at about 6... definitely not more than 7. His springs are stock 56 's front and 63's rear.

some pics here and
    here. Some good closeups of the suspension are here!

[​IMG]

5. TruckNutzDude

Why didn't I just get the 2.5 ton's in the first place /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif What about oil pan clearance? Isn't the front shaft going to be directly under it?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Good god, that is a [darn] beast!

Just add some 49" IROKs and good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why didn't I just get the 2.5 ton's in the first place /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif What about oil pan clearance? Isn't the front shaft going to be directly under it?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point? They're huge and heavy, and a bitch to adapt, a pain in the ass to work on, and the brakes, gearing, and lug pattern are all not ideal.

D60 is almost as strong, stronger with the addition of the right shafts/joints, available in your choice of gear ratios, and runs normal brakes and lug pattern.

Seems like at $1k for the '60 plus $350 for the 35 spline conversion you've got a much better setup than the rockwells that you have to buy brakes for, wheels, etc.

8. TruckNutzDude

I agree with that. There are a lot of modifications to be made. I wonder how much stronger the rockwell axles really are? I just figured they were twice as strong since they're rated for that much. hmmm.. is it really worth it?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They are not twice as strong. They're about equal in stock form. They can be DRASTICALLY upgraded with chromo shafts and everything, but a stock rockwell isn't really much stronger (if any) than a 30 spline Dana 60.

Not to mention they have 16 spline axle shafts or something that are likely worn out.

I could go on forever about this, but the reality is that you don't have much to gain by going that route. Portals--yes. Rockwells? Nah.......just put a 35 spline '60 in it and then don't worry about a thing unless you break it.

10. TruckNutzDude

Thanks for saving me some big change 84-K10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Considering that I just bought cross over steering, 5.13's and a detroit locker for my '60 it would be a shame to waste it... I just had the chance to do rockwells pretty cheaply and figured it would be a good idea. ($750 for a deuce and a half truck 'aint too bad in my book /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Even if you got the axles for free, I don't think it'd be worth it to achieve your goals.

In a non-road driven machine you could use pinion brakes, put a detroit in it, deal with the 6.72s, and upgrade the shafts and use hydro steering and Staz's beadlocks, but most of these options are not acceptable for a road truck so that is not all that realistic. And even then it's still not cheap...

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Speaking from inexperience again I see. Why dont you stick to what you know, u-joints and shocks?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I'm so wrong, why don't you put out the correct information instead of simply stating that I'm wrong?

I think I'm pretty much dead on here. Impractical due to gear ratio and brake issues, wheel bolt pattern, and only one gear ratio, and not that much strength improvement to justify all those issues.

There are aftermarket parts to solve all of those issues except the gearing, but by then, you've spent WAY too much money and there are other axles that would have netted more improvement in performance at a lower cost.

14. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'am with Tim on this! stick with the 60.You have a lot more Options to choose from as far as parts go.

15. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Go out to OK some time and see what the boys out there run on the rocks. The stuff they have out there is much more hardcore than anything around here and lot of them run Rockwells with great success.

Gear ratio is no problem because if you are running Rockwells you are probably running really tall tires which negates a lot of the negative effects of the really low gear. You know as well as I that the military has used this axle for at least 30 years with roughly 41" tall tires and no O/D, so if it was so bad you would think they would ask the manufacturer to change the gearing. The pinion brakes are cheap, usually much cheaper than replacing rotors and calipers on a 60. The wheel bolt pattern issue is easily resolved by putting new centers in which a lot of people do anyway with a 60 to fit the rim of their choice. I think you are way off on the strength issue. Many guys run these axles in stock form and dont break axleshafts. Just because its a coarse spline doesnt make it weak. Hell, you run a 10 spline trans and tcase, is that going to break on you all of a sudden just because its a coarse spline? A good 60 and rear to match is upwards of 1000 bucks whereas a set of Rockwells is 600-700 bucks. I do agree they are less streetable, but if you are putting Rockwells in you probably dont care about streetability. Even you trailer your rig so with Rockwells under it you wouldnt have to worry about the street. You may ask why I dont have Rockwells if they are so good. When I still had my K5, I was deadset on using them, however I ended up getting rid of my K5 and ended up with the 1 ton I got now. Since that truck already had a 60 and 70, I decided just to run it with those. If it was anything less than a 1 ton, you can bet it would have Rockwells under it.

16. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I'm so wrong, why don't you put out the correct information instead of simply stating that I'm wrong?

I think I'm pretty much dead on here. Impractical due to gear ratio and brake issues, wheel bolt pattern, and only one gear ratio, and not that much strength improvement to justify all those issues.

There are aftermarket parts to solve all of those issues except the gearing, but by then, you've spent WAY too much money and there are other axles that would have netted more improvement in performance at a lower cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you're an idiot. You can easily wheel disk rockwells. You can also run drums if you wish. Pinion brakes are the cheapest alternative.

Tell the guys that run 48x24x20" tires that 60's are a viable alternative to rockwells. Such a big tire would easily bust the knuckles or kingpins on every run. 60's are nice. I just busted the pinion on my 5.13 gear set in my 60 and I've gone through countless inner and outer 35spline stubs. When you want to upgrade from a street tire (like a beadlocked 44" bogger that I run) to a tractor tire that weighs 100 pounds more and has 3" deep lugs, you get rockwells. I have a set of rockwells that were made in 87. My 60 and 14 were made in 85 and 81 respectively... Until you actually SEE someone break a rockwell and understand why it broke and comprehend that a 60 would have calved a lot sooner, don't even propose you know anything about them.

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

As far as brakes go I wouldn't consider the pinion brake an apples to apples comparison to discs on the ends or drums on the ends. A pinion brake is seeing 6 something times (whatever the gear ratio is) more rpm than what is out on the ends of the axles. Pads will burn up.

18. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

You all make some very good points about running this setup, that being said, all I know is what I've actually seen with my own two eyes.I've broken d60 shafts in a car doing burnouts, I've also seen stub shafts break turning 38 inch tires, and I know that the big boy's around here run 2.5 ton's when it's time to really get with it!so that being, the way I see things I'm gonna go with the rockwells on this one, plus I don't think it's going to be that much more work to install thanwhat I allready did installing this light weight crap on my blazer. I've been contemplating the swapup for a while now and think it's time! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif check in parts 4 sale /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    D60 is almost as strong

[/ QUOTE ]

not after you have sandy cone crank out some 300M 2" 50 spline shafts for your rockies... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn you're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I know why I shouldn't have taken you off my ignore list.

Scroll up you moron, I already mentioned that there are aftermarket solutions for all of the rockwell shortcomings, they're just not cheap at all and for the average joe running DOT tires, they're just not cost effective.

*back on ignore*