Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much lift.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JROSS, Oct 23, 2001.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I just bought my 81 Blazer from a guy who said he thought it had a 4" lift. I'm not sure if I believe him because it has 35" tires with a lot of clearence. It has more clearence and feels more top heavy than my friends 72' with a 4" and 33" tires. Can anyone tell me how to check and where to measure for lift height. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any body lift. Please help.

2. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Any blocks under the rear springs? Shackles look stock, not flipped?

'91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, FlowMasters, 33's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pages.zdnet.com/len1313/blazer>[/b]PICS[/b]</a>

3. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Yes, what should they measure.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well you need to understand that springs come in one size fits all. They are also listed as minimum lift. This lets them account for sag without warranty issue. Rancho is real off on the hight. I have rancho 2.5's and the lifted my truck over 4 inches when they were new. I'm still tail low with a shackle flip. I have a stock 79 and measuring it against my my 75 I show right at 4 inches after they been on it for 3 years and should have achived full sag. The springs may have been sold as 4 inches of lift but may be closer to 6 over stock sagged springs.
    Most of us are able to run 35's with 4inches of lift For street that's all that is needed. Once you disconnect the sway and get full suspenshing travel you will probably have scrub problems on the fender lip in front of the doors and the inner fender between the two bolts that attach it to the floor pan.
    The rest of the sway you feel is a combination of things. Tires mostly. Lift blocks. Spring rates ect. Also retorq the U-Bolt. They need to be retorqed one or 2 times after they have been run for a while.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

are you asking me or mis-type and meant..."what they should measure" Grim's got a great point and is really up on his stuff. The only real way to tell exactly is to see is if someone on the board has stock 31" without any lift, and have him take a measurement from ground to body and compare to your truck. It'll give you a round-about # because of sag and bushing wear, but at least you will have an idea. When you say that you're pretty sure about it not having a body lift, is there anything like a puck where the body mounts are? or are ther just the rubber body mounts? Possibly, you could get a # off of the springs and maybe someone could go on that.

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I was asking what the blocks should measure for a 4" lift. The blazer has springs on the front and blocks in the rear.
    I'm going to see if I can get any info off the springs.

7. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Measure your buddies with the 4"lift from the bottom of the frame to the top of the spring pad (the flat thing thats welded to the axle and has the springs on top of it). Now measure yours in the same location. This should tell you the difference between what you have and a 4" lift. Most lifts are different between manufacturers but this should give you a pretty close idea.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

8. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

the blocks measure what the lift is. 4" blocks = 4" lift. That's for the rear and also not accounting if the springs are aftermarket or re-arched.

9. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. From our discussions I think it has a 4" block lift with a spring lift also, it just sits to high above the tires to have a 4" lift. I'm going to look into the springs and see if they have any information on them.

Thanks

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure you don't have a body lift?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Posotive, just looked at it and there is no seperation between the frame and the body. The blocks are 4" but to me it fells to high to be a 4", My thought is the previous owner put a 2" sring lift with 4" blocks in the rear and 6" springs in the front. Also checked to see if he had put a shackle flip on it but they are still stock.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Anything is possible, just trying to eliminate possibilities. Good luck finding what you've got.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I think I finally figured it out after looking at someone elses Blazer. Its just a 4" lift with 35's and some fender trimming. After looking at other Blazers I noticed my fenders followed a different line to add more clearence for the 35's. Thanks for the info all.