Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much longer brake lines do I need for a 6" lift??????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kickinasphalt, May 18, 2004.

1. kickinasphalt

kickinasphalt Registered Member

How much longer brake lines do I need for a 6\" lift??????????

Decided I'm gonna install new stainless brakelines when I put my 6" lift in my 71 K-10. I need to know how much longer than stock I should get that lines lengthened. I'm not a serious off-roader that will be putting the suspension to its limit. Would 6" longer be enough? Thanks.

2. blackrock

blackrock Registered Member

Re: How much longer brake lines do I need for a 6\" lift??????????

You will need longer lines than the amount of lift. I'll have new lines here in a couple of days for my Sub, and can measure them and post. I would say though that you want lines that are about 1.5 times longer than the amount of lift plus the length of the original lines. So in your case about 10" longer - mininmum (6*1.5=9, round up to 10)

3. kickinasphalt

kickinasphalt Registered Member

Is there any particular reason you need to go longer then what you are lifting? Should the factory lines be long enough for the factory suspension height so whatever you lift, you just add that to your lines?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there any particular reason you need to go longer then what you are lifting?

[/ QUOTE ] Because you are moving the caliper farther away and brake lines are BAD limiting straps. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I would give 4wheelparts a call and order a set of their procomp SS brake lines...just tell them you have a 6" and they will (hopefully) send you the right lines. I have them with my 6" and I think they are good quality lines.