Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much louder?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Dec 22, 2000.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK after breaking my 11th exhaust hanger I've decided to re-do my exhuast and run the Flowmasters outside the frame rails and have the tips exit just in front of the rear wheels.
    How much louder will this be?
    The exhuast has full tail pipes exiting behind the tires right now and is pretty throaty. I just hate having to fix my exhuast every time I go wheeling.
    Someone out there must have their pipes coming out in front of the wheels.

Rene

[​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I do! Well sorta. Mine are more under the truck than anyting.
    I have about 10" of 2 1/2" pipe welded to my twochamber Flowmasters. The pipe bends down then out, kinda points to the front of the rear tires. I love it! It is loud but thats what I wanted. On a road trip HWY ride the flowmasters are nice and smooth and somewhat quite. I likeum allot.
    Hope this helps

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. tRustyK5

My truck has been obnoxiuos for as long as I've owned it[​IMG] so I'm not all that concerned, just curious. I've had the Flowmasters for almost 4 years, I'm just going to re-configure everything so it doesn't get all bunged up everytime I go wheelin'
    Thanks Steve.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mine stays outa the way perrty good have had to use a coat hanger to keep it hangin once on the trail but other than that no worries.
    OH one thing on a dusty trail when I stop it bellows out puffs of dust out from under my rig, sometimes that sucks!! Too much dust!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. tRustyK5

Well right now my rear springs will flex and wipe out the hangers every time [​IMG]
    With the amount of rain we get here dust isn't much of a concern![​IMG]
    I'll let you know how it works out.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I am thinking that if you run your exhaust outside your frame rail its going to get ripped off or just plain beat up. Plus its going to be right closer to your window and the noise and smell are going to kill you.:) And how are you going to get it outside of the frame rail anyway. Over or under the frame?

7. tRustyK5

My collector ends right by the front spring shackle. From there its going to make a 45 degree turn. I've already checked the area out and there won't be a problem getting under the frame at that point.
    The exhaust exit will be just in front of the rear wheels pointing out at an angle. This is far enough away from the front side windows. As it is right now I was getting fumes in with the rear window down. The hard top is gone so no more rear window fume problems[​IMG]
    I like noise [​IMG] and I hate my neighbors anyways.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

Yeah, neighbors piss me off. :-)

9. FWP

FWP CRS

What about running the pipes straight back, as opposed to turning out behind the rear wheels. I was thinkin of this on my K5, just wonderin if the pipes running 2" away from the gas tank is too close.

[​IMG]

10. tRustyK5

I thought about it. Mostly what I like by going outside the frame is the room it clears up over the rear diff. Plus it becomes a very simple system.
    I also smoke my reciever hitch on a regular basis and kind of worry about killing my tailpipes.

Rene

[​IMG]

11. FWP

FWP CRS

Yep, a reciever hitch could pose a problem there[​IMG]. I don't have one, so I didn't think about that. Any thoughts on running next to the gas tank, if I was to go that way? On yours, are you worried about smashing the pipe on the frame where it goes under?

[​IMG]

12. tRustyK5

If ya get a chance check out the way the frame goes right where the front spring shackle is. It slopes upwards towards the front and there should be room there for a 2 1/2" pipe to sneak behind the shackle with room to spare and without being a rock 'magnet'[​IMG]
    As far as going by the gas tank, I've seen lots of Blazers and other cars with the pipes running alongside the gas tank. The pipes back there don't really get that hot anyways. My big concern would be having a vibration or banging if the pipe was too close.

Rene

[​IMG]

13. FWP

FWP CRS

Right on.. thanks. If the leaf spring is flat under compression, and the shackle is pushed back- there's still enough room?

[​IMG]

14. tRustyK5

Yes I think so. I might ramp it and see exactly how much it moves. I definitely don't want the shackle to hit my pipes.[​IMG] that would kind of defeat the purpose!

Rene

[​IMG]

15. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I'm going to hack mine off right in front of the fuel tank after the axle. That will leave everything tucked up under the rig.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people

16. tRustyK5

That is not really an option where I live. We have to pass yearly smog checks that involve sniffers in the pipes and the truck on a dyno (front and rear tires). If they can't get to my tail pipes they can't test and I can't pass[​IMG]
    I used to have my old 72 Dart swinger set up like that. I really liked the way it sounded but that was before the smog checks.

Rene

[​IMG]

17. FWP

FWP CRS

Plus, any leaks in the floor metal, and you'll be feelin good after a few hours drivin around with the windows up[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Feelin good? After a few hours, I don't think you'd be feeling anything!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

19. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I kinda explaned wrong. I am cutting it right after the bracket next to the tank. This will clear the shackle flip(when I get it)and hide the exhast pipe a little. You will still be able to put in the smog(@#$%^)probe into the pipe. I'll cut mine and post pics asap.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people