Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much new or rebuilt 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKE, Mar 4, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I have been having problems with my engine with over 200,000 the little 305 has served a good life. No one ever believed that it was a 305.

Anyway it is time to step up to at least a 350. The problem is I cant do it. How much should a good mechanic charge for a new engine and install? What should I ask them? What exactlly do I want? I know my carb, alt, pumps are new and would fit onto a 350 so... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I swapped mine myself and it cost about $1100 with the $250 core charge. Most shops I've called say anywhere from 2000-3500 to buy or rebuild an engine and install it.

The GM dealer had a 350 crate motor for I believe 1200 plus 100 for the core charge. Installation through the dealer would probably be in the $3000+ range with motor included.

Just swap it yourself... it isn't THAT hard to do /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think a private machnic will probably quote you an OK price and then end up reaming you in the end with a lot of surprises just because he can.
    Around these parts, there is a big Thunderbolt Transmissions - they install rebuilt tranny and engines in older vehicles, with warranty, and I'm pretty sure with guaranteed prices. Maybe you have something like that where you live.

On a side note, just why can't you build and install one? If it's a matter of tools, then consider that the money you'll save by doing it yourself will pay for all the tools /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If you're worried that it's too complicated, then I say nah it's not bad at all. There's not that many pieces inside a 350, seriously.
    If you're worreid about installing it, that's not bad either. I rented a hoist both times I installed an engine in my truck. I think I paid $30 or $35 for 1 day of rental.
    -- Mike

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Thanks.
    I would love to do this on my own, and god knows how I dream about this stuff. However, I live in a crappy appartment and have to do all my work in a parking lot. i am also not allowed to do "auto work" and have been fined several times for changing my oil! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I've told them to eat it when i first moved in and put my lift in- they called the police. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif anyway thats why. BTW i dont have the time either 3 jobs full time school full time wife /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    full time wife

[/ QUOTE ]

That's enough to stop you right there /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't necessarily like GM's prices, but if you buy one of their crate motors, and have them install it, the labor AND engine will be covered should anything go wrong, no matter where you are as long as there is a GM dealer nearby.

I guess thats important if you travel a lot, but still, if you just can't do the work yourself, pay the extra money and have labor covered...kind of like transmissions, it seems that rebuilt engines have a way of not working correctly the first time in some cases. It may not be as prevalent with engines as it is with transmissions, but it still happens often enough that it could be worth it to pay the premium GM prices.

As I recall, if you buy a GM crate motor (other sources probably have the same procedure), and install it yourself, the engine warranty still stands, but if anything happens with the engine, you'd have to pull it/reinstall at your expense, and that gets pretty pricey.

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I don't know, mine wants me working on the truck so I'll leave the remote alone.

8. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

If you brought me a core, a healthy 4x4 350 would probably run you 1300 bucks or so. You can spend as much as you like... A real healthy roller cam 383 with good aftermarket heads would run you more like 3000 bucks.

In engines, you don't always get what you pay for. Where I live we see a lot of CRAP out of Spokane and Canada "production" or "assembly line" shops. Your best bet is going to a local shop with a good reputation and spending a little more. Its the same everywhere in the USA. There's "production shops" selling 350's for 700 bucks, and they really aren't putting the hurt to small time custom builders. Usually you'll buy one of those engines ONCE in your life (because they're cheap)... After that, you'll never cheat on your local custom engine builder again.

A custom guy has a lot more flexibility. If he's smart, he'll ask you questions about your truck (what gears, tranny, tire size, cruise RPM down the highway.) He'll ask you about your driving style and what you want to see the engine do. You never know, lots of small time engine shops do their own installs. If they don't, they certainly have a shop or two that they refer people too.

If you lived in my neighborhood, I'd take good care of ya... After all, you own a K5, you can't be ALL bad /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Around here you can get a 350 from $550 to $700 from all the cheap rebuilders and the parts stores like Pep Boys, Checker, etc... If you have a TBI then the cheap ones are about $1200 (I think). It looks like you have a carb since your sig shows an 85. I would spend the extra money and get the GM crate motor or even better, just get the machine work done and put it together yourself to make sure it is done right. You could put it together inside your apt. I've done it before /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know you can't do it yourself since you live in an apartment so here is what I would recommend if you lived in Phoenix:

1. Get the cheap $550 and pay the going rate for an R&R (removal and reinstalation) of $400. Plan on spending another $200 for belts, hoses, spark plugs, starter, or anything else you might want to replace while your at it.

That would be $1150.

2. Get a crate motor for $1200 and with the $400 R&R and $200 misc for a total of $1800.

An engine removal and reinstalation is very simple and a decent mechanic should not charge you very much. I live in a big city so the prices here have the least ammount of profit in them so they can compete. I would say no matter where you live you could get a mechanic, who does not have alot of work to do, to do it for $500 or less. The key is to find somone who knows what they are doing but has no other work to do. If they have work their prices will stay high, if business is slow they will want to feed their families and do it at a minimal profit.

Good luck

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I bought the gm crate motor (universal 350) for 1480 out the door that includes the 100 core. Another thing you will need to budget for is all the other bolt ons. Water pump, flexplate or flywheel, fuel pump, intake, plugs, wires, belts, hoses etc... I guess you don't have to replace all those thing but i figure if i was gonna do i'll do it right and not have to go in and replace them later.

Another thing not mentioned is wether or not a local machine shop will warrenty their work. GM gives a warranty with their crate motors

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would go to a local mechanic, and ask him his price to R&R a motor. The winter is the down time for alot of mechanics. That is when I got mine done. The GM Crate 350 runs about $1300 as stated above. The $1300 crate is the "target master" motor, and they are usually pretty good. You also get a 3yr/50K warranty I think. Well worth it.

12. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

K so i am in the same situation. Looking at replacing my engine. I would LOVE to do it myself, although i have no tools and so far my experience is limited to replacing the sparkplugs cap and rotor. So if i was to take on this task i really think i would need some instructions? no? I mean pull and engine? how the heck do i do that? what is the list of tools i need? I would like to begin being somewhat prepared so i dont find my self 6 months later on my 300th trip to PepBoys for another tool.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just replaced my 305 with a brand new 350. The enging cost me $300 then I had it machined and got a rebuild kit which cost me $1500 then my old mechanic came over and put it together(cost a case of beer), and then my dad and I put it in. So it cost me almost 2k puting it in myself. Don't let anyone sell you a Pep Boys or really cheap engine. They are made with inferior parts and will just be a headache.

14. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Mountain Man, Your best bet is to go get a shop manual. I have a prefference of they HAYNES manuals since they go thru the complete disassembly of the vehicle. There is also another book that I would recommend is the Chevy/GMC light truck owners manual. You can find both of these books and Barnes and Noble. Other bookstores vary and some part stores carry Haynes (I think NAPA does).

15. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

Wife, Apartment, 3 jobs and school! man, I thought my plate was full. Is this your full time driver? if so, you'll need to get her back on the road asap. Go via a "repitable" local shop, dealers will charge more. A good shop should be able to charge you between 2,000 to 2,500 bucks. No money? I'd say sell it take the cash for a down payment and get a new pick up. If you have a friend or folks you can store it all till life allows a toy store it. I've just gone through the "easy" task of engine replacement, Fortunatly I have a house with a drive way and car port, no wife, one job and one more class till I get my BS, yahoo! You'll get the run around with some snot nosed kid giving you the wrong motor mounts, hoses, you'll snap bolts, break lines, curse, throw tools, kick the dog, have a fit in front of your neighbors. All in all, I loved it. I would have no other way, money saved means new tools for me and the knowledge. Seriously, if you need it back on the road asap, have a shop do it, if you can store it someplace else go for it. A couple of my gear head friends have gotten together and taken a lease on a old shop, rents cheap, gives them a place to wrench, drink beer, store their tools, 240 volt outlets for air compressors, escape the wife/kids. Take the time you think it might take you and X it by 2. Add $400 bucks for water pump, hoses, fluids, oil, sensors, bandaids, shop towels, wire, and above all enjoy the wonderful experience of being a guy who can swap a engine out, rooaaarrr!

16. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I just replaced my 305 with a brand new 350. The enging cost me $300

[/ QUOTE ]

A 'brand new' 350 for $300 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif i don't think so. . .