Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much oil does teh diff hold???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Apr 4, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

How much gear oil does my 78 jimmy's D44 and 12 bolt w3.73's hold??? I got the gaskets, but somehow forgot the oil... and I got the high temp goop like one of you said... (I was in a hurry I dont know how i forgot the oil...)

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Play it safe and buy three quarts of the stuff. You can never have too much oil. At least you will have some "back up" for when you need some later.

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

2 and 1/2 quarts each. By 6 to have some extra to make up for the one your going to bump with you elbow and not notice it turned over and spilled on the floor.....

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just did my 12B rear yesterday....I put in 14oz of Limited Slip additive, and 1qt Valvoline Synthetic....I have an Auburn Pro in my 12B....in my front 10B with Auburn Pro, I use 7oz LS additive, and fill with Synthetic.....takes about 1 1/2 qts per end including the Additive if you have the type of Posi that takes it.......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..