Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much oil is normal to burn?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Nov 29, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I just checked my oil today for the first time since fixing all the leaks. I have burned 1 quart of oil since the 9th of this month. Is that normal? What is a normal amount... what causes it? What can i do to prevent it? My honda never burned any oil!! I am not seeing any smoke, and i haven't been leaking that i can tell. Nothing is dripping on the driveway anyway. I have made one out of town trip to the mountains, that was on the 11-12th. I have been mostly just driving to work, which lately the freeway has been stop and go thanks to Cal Trans.

2. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

Well, I don't know what's normal, but my truck burns about 1 quart between oil changes, about 3-4000 miles. I don't think that's too bad for a 305 w/ 150k on it, I think my valve seals are leaking since it puffs a bit of smoke after I start it.

87 K5, all stock so far, except for some rust

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sounds about right to me my 74 burns and leaks alittle and I have to add a quart about every 3 weeks....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    My old motor burned about 1 quart every 3000 miles, that's why it's my "old" motor (currently being rebuilt for some guy's winter project). My new crate motor doesn't burn any oil, on my 4th oil change (100miles, 500miles, 1,000miles, 3,000miles okay, so I'm a fanatic about changing oil in a new motor, but it's cheap insurance). Spoke with a local racer about burning oil, and he claimed that if your motor is tight, and you keep the revs below 7,000 (he races, remember that) then you shouldn't burn more than an ounce of oil in 3,000 miles. He did agree that stop'n'go traffic isn't great, as it breaks down the oil, but that there still shouldn't be burned oil unless the rings are shot.[​IMG] <font color=green>The bestest of luck</font color=green>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I burn under a quart every 3K miles. A guy that works for my Dad that was an ex-Marine Corp mechanic told me that the oil was probably because of leaky valve guides. He said he had the same problem with his 350 in his work truck. I figure it is just a good excuse to get a set of Vortech heads. He said thats what he did. Went to the wreckin yard, and swiped a set off a late model Chevy. (Yes I know I will need a new manifold).

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not normal to burn ANY oil. If your engine is old and worn out, it will burn oil, just add it and don't worry about it.

And as for Vortec heads, not only will you need a new intake, you'll need rocker arms too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sweet thanks for the info. Will stock 85 exhaust manifolds work or do I need those too? Don't think so but not sure. Thanks

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.