Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much por-15 do I need?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Apr 5, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Well after doing a search and reading about por-15. I think I will use it. Now how much do you think I will need to do my frame, underside of my floor pan, and underside of my body?
    Do you think 2 Quarts should set me up?
    Pint = 50 sq. ft.
    Quart = 96 sq. ft.
    Gallon = 350 sq. ft.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Brush or spray??

It goes a long way by brushing it--but spraying takes a lot more..I did the floors of 2 chevy trucks with a pint brushing it on,but a quart failed to do a frame by spraying it--2 qts MIGHT be enough if you brush it on,but if you run out and buy another quart,its almost the same price as a gallon..

Its best not to "overbuy" POR-15,as its hard to store without it hardening up in the can--saran wrap under the lid works good to keep the lid from welding itself to the can..

If you go to the swap meet in Hollis NH last sunday of the month,a POR-15 dealer usually sets up there and has decent prices--not sure how far away you are in maine,but its usually cheaper at the swap meet,and no shipping charge--plus a lot of parts to drool over too... :laugh:

3. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I think I wil buy 2 QUART and if I need to I will order a pint if I run out.
    It should not take to much to do this.
    Thanks
    Adam

4. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Like Diesel4me said, if you are gonna brush it on it goes along ways. I would think that 2quarts will be enough. I also put saran wrap under the lid for storage and then i put on the little black clips that came on the cans since sometimes the lid will slowly creep back up without them and harden the paint. And like I said earlier, be sure to cover up all skin since this stuff is imposible to get off, takes a couple weeks at least, it will even soak right through tshirts and thin gloves and such and get on your skin!

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just a note to everyone on storing POR15...

we use gallons of it at work.. we've tried all the tricks, saran wrap, etc... what works by far the best is if you take a few minutes with a paper towel and lacquer thinner and clean the lip out thoroughly and the edge of the lid.. it will keep way longer that way...

and for the original poster.... 2 qrts brushed, goes a long way... and yeah, wear surgical gloves... ;)

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Some guy on here (vendor) offers por15 discount to ck5 members.

I bought POR 15 several times- with our trucks, you kinda always need to have some on hand. I've kept POR 15 in the fridge for a year after using without any ill effects. I do however, recommend for the amount your doing that you get at least a quart, and use a cup/some other intermediate unit to dip from. You dont want to contaminate the whole can. They say even one drop of water can ruin it. Also, have several cheap brushes on hand- It seems that the POR starts drying up rather quickly as you apprach the end, and the brush will get just as stiff!

(Dont forget to use some marine clean to remove grease, and metal ready to prep the surface)