Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How much POR15 do I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Apr 21, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

to do the entire floor in my Jimmy? Would I do the underside of the floor too? Rust sucks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You should do 2 coats. I did all of the cab floor and spots on the rest of the bed with 2 coats and I don't think I used a whole quart. I think you could do it with 2 quarts.

3. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

por 15 is the sh_t! I did a 67 stang fire wall, floor pans, chasis,trunk. it holds up better that anything else i have found. I also used it to patch a tranny tunnel by soaking fiberglass patch cloth in it and it's harder that the sheet metal. kinda pricey but well worth it! 1 quart should work for the front and back side but hell might as well go for it and do the whole thing. you will thank yourself in the long run. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Its ok. I used it on my floorboards it worked good, but on my axles, it sucked, it didnt stand up very good and peeled off. 1 quart goes a long way though.

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Shouldnt I also do the underside of the floor as well?

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I would think so, so it doesn't rust from the underside up. I'm going to do mine as soon as I finsh up a couple of other projects. I have a little rust on the underside of the bed. Just not looking forward to it, will probably be messy.

7. por15-texas

por15-texas Registered Member

daleearnhardt01

Yes. do the top and bottom. No use in doing one if you do not do the other side. Rust will just work it's way in from any open path that moisture can reach.

8. por15-texas

K5MONSTERCHEV

One quart will cover 96 square feet. That's a lot of area.
    The reason the POR-15 peeled from your axel is you didn't prep it right. If you have *any* oils or dirt on the metal it will peel. The metal has to be clean. This is the reason we recommend you use the METAL-READY and MARINE-CLEAN as they are designed to work as a team. Most cleaners have some type of oil base to help cut through the oil when cleaning and will leave a film you just can't see. Laq. Thinner makes a great parts cleaner, but will NOT clean a surface for POR-15 it will peel right off if it even drys at all. Even Simple Green doen't clean it well enough. MARINE-CLEAN is a water base cleaner and leave zero film when washed and works great. The METAL-READY will act as a primer for the POR-15 and help it *stick* to a surface. If you have sandblasted a surface you MUST use METAL-READY or the POR-15 will not stick. the blasting heats the metal and causes smooth spots and gives POR-15 problems. The M.R. will etch the surface for POR-15 to hold on to.

I had a customer call today saying the POR-15 was junk and he waisted 2 quarts, The stuff wouldn't dry and it just run off his frame and firewall. He said this was a $20,000 show truck and it was going to cost him a few thousand dollars to have redone what POR-15 had done. I asked him what he cleaned the metal with and he said "Break Cleaner". I calmly asked did he use break cleaner to clean his body before painting his truck ? he said HELL no.. So why did you use it to clean for POR-15?.. Amazing...

9. por15-texas

Skigirl

if you have a large area to coat with POR-15. Go to Walmart and get their $20 1 quart spray gun. Pour the quart of POR-15 in and mix with 5% Solvent that POR-15 makes. comes in small 8 oz bottles. This will allow you to lay out from under the truck and spray the underside out of the way of drips and splashes and really covers better also as it can get into all those out of the way places you can't get to. Let the first thin coat dry for 45-60 min. then apply a 2nd coat. let dry 24 hours and then topcoat if you wish. We work on cars ourselfs and found a quart in a sprayer will cover a complete underbody of a 67 Camaro and most of the firewall too. takes about 30 min to spray it compaired to the 3-4 hours when we used a brush and it was ALOT cleaner looking..

BTW: WEAR LONG SLEEVES AND PANTS, HAT, GLOVES, If this stuff gets on your skin it will NOT come off. It' has to wear off in 4-5 days.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dave, thanks for the data.

What do I do about wiring, poly bushings, brake lines, gas lines, mufflers, etc?

11. por15-texas

They all get POR-15'd /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif We'll those you don't cover up at least.. We normally do this as we have the cars down for a frame off resto so the lines and stuff are not there. But in your case... Use 2" masking tape and tape off what you can. As far as the pipes and mufflers, the POR-15 will burn off over a short time. If your worried about details. Tape/mask what you can. And POR-15 takes a while to DRY so you can use the solvent or any laq. thinner to wipe/clean off your poly pushings and stuff before it drys. Just wear latex gloves as if it gets on your hands it's there for a while once it drys. This is not like paint you get in a spray can. It stays wet for a while and can be cleaned off and wiped off. I'd test on a small area to see the dry time in your area as it varys with humitity and the temp of the air. More humidity in the air will cause POR-15 to dry faster. Hope that helps.

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

What is POR-15? Is it just a finish, a rust arrestor or more like an undercoat? never used the stuff but I sure hear alot about it on this forum.

13. por15-texas

POR-15 is a paint-like substance which acts as a total rust inhibitor and also very effective as a metal filler. Its consistency is approximately that of paint and it has very good spreadability (one quart covers 96 square feet). POR-15 chemically bonds to rusted steel to form a rock-hard, nonporous coating that won't crack, chip, or peel. It works by isolating metal from moisture without moisture present, steel can't rust.

Also great for concrete foors. Works well as a metal bonding agent also. To see this just open a can of POR-15 and don't wipe the top off. Put the top back on and come back in 12 hours. Your not going to get that top off for NOTHING.. Time to drill a hole in the side to get out the remaining POR-15.

14. cybrfire

So, you're saying that if I paint it on the bottom of my cab floor that is all rusty it will stop the rust from continuing to grow without having to remove all the rust first? Am I understanding that correctly? If that is true, I'm sold. I haven't ever seen anything that will stop rust without removing the rust from the affected area first. Cool.

15. por15-texas

Without seeing the extent of the area I can't promise anything. For all I know it's a area of rust being help togeather by the grace of god /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BUT, under normal condistions.. yes. POR-15 covers the metal with a AIR TIGHT seal. Without air rust can't grow.
    That's how it works. The correct steps are to at least wire brush off as much as you can. Clean the surface with a waterbase cleaner such as MARINE-CLEAN to remove any dirt and oils. Spray the area with METAL-READY and keep wet for 15-20 minutes then wash off with clean water and let dry. METAL-READY coverts the rust leaving a zinc phosphate film to promote chemical bonding. It also desolves the rust there now. Then paint with 2 coats of POR-15. Your done.

16. cybrfire

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. It's some minor surface rusting. I just didn't feel like laying under there and trying to sand it all down. Wire brushing is no prob. I will have to try some. Thanks again.

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dave. Yes, that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Glad I don't have a hootus. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey Dave,
    No Mask? I have been at least using an organic particle mask. Is that good eneough?
    Thanks

19. por15-texas

Yes use a mask. Sorry i take it for granted everyone uses some type of mask when spraying any paints.

20. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status