Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how much power is too much power?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Feb 4, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

say i do get my truck like i want...... in that case after what point would Horse Power or Torque be useless? For the pourpose of this poll, assume the complete rig is somewhere near 7,000 pounds

2. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Too much power? Is that possible? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Horsepower is kinda like money...can you ever really have too much?

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

You can never have to much power,just have to learn when to let up on it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

In the voice of Tim Allen " MORE POWER! ohg ogh ogh."
    It is better to have excessive power and not need it then need more power and not have it!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

but say the diffrence between 500 and 700 HP, i mean you can really do what ever you want with the 500 for offroading, can't you? you can smoke the tires and have all the power you need, so what;s the exrtra 200 HP do for you?

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well it depends on what you do. For mud, the more hp the better. But for rocks, you do it in gearing. Look at all the Suzukis and 4cyl jeeps out there rockcrawling. Its up to you though. BTW, the more horsepower, the less MPG.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Too much power is when ever you goose it and something between the engine and the tires breaks. For some this is 150 hp, for others it is 1500 hp. Your only as good as your weakest link so build it to match your drivetrain and exercise control on your terrain, what ever it may be! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

gotta throw my hat in here and agree with Borrego. Too much is going to be fully dependant on the rest of your setup. If your rearend blows out with 450hp then 700 is pretty much useless. If you do manage to get 700hp and your drivetrain can take it, (mental note, 700hp kicks mucho a$$) can the rest of the truck? Can your brakes take the extra momentum? What about frame twist? (seems like a long shot, but then so does 700hp) Personally I think the 350 - 400 range is good... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but, then again... I cant afford 700hp. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

imho it is always better to have more than you need and never use it then have less than you need and wish you had it.

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

True... Very true. The problem I run into is that while I dont "need" to use it... I always "want" to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So, I suppose if you can manage more self control than me, there really is no "too much"

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This is a quote from "The Unfair Advantage" about Mark Donohue's racing carrier. When the Porsche engineers asked him "Now does it have enough?" he replied "No. It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

That was the most powerfull road race car ever with 1200bhp.

13. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

hate to quote others but too much power i want whatever hes smoking

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Such a loaded question. Depends on what you want to do. Keep it steetable w/ still decent fuel economy, tricked out trail king? For multi purpose (street/trail) 300-350 hp is good. With proper gearing, it will do just about anything you want. My $.02

John

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It all depends on your setup, maintainence, usage, etc.
    Unfortuneately there is NO "magic" number......although it would be nice.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

as long as it makes torque at a usable rpm

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It really comes down to "usable" power. Will the egnine be a small block or a big block? Naturally aspirated or forced induction? It is possible to build a small block that will make 800 HP, but driving it on the street would not be a pleasant experience, especially in a heavy vehicle, since it would have a torque curve that is very narrow and doesn't even start until 3,000+ RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Great stuff in a lightweight drag car that's set up for the engine. But not the hot ticket for getting 7,000 lbs of truck moving in heavy traffic.

If you want massive torque, there isn't much that will beat a hot rodded turbo diesel. A Cummins or Power Stroke can easily be tweaked to make 700 lb/ft of torque, and at under 3,000 RPM! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You can spend more cash and get them into the range of 1,000+ lb/ft of torque, but at that point you really have to start looking for a massive drivetrain to live behind it.

18. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Agreed, build it for torque and HP will take care of itself.

19. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Too much power /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I didn't know there was such a critter.

20. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Enough to keep the tires turning but not to much as to break everything in your drive train.