Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How Much Pressure Should A York Build?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jan 26, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, this one is pretty simple. I need help. I bought a long stroke york for a pretty penny on e-bay because It's too cold to go to the junkyard right now (I know I'm a wuss) Anyways, I got it in the mail today, made sure the clutch worked, and proceeded to turn it with the clutch engaged (by hand) and felt nothing on either of the ports. I started taking it apart in my basement and decided to try turning it with an electric drill to bump up the speed. It worked...kinda...when I stick my finger in the exhaust port it'll only pump air if I leave a little gap for it to flow by. If I block off the port with my finger I don't even really feel any pressure, almost like the air is just flowing back out of the intake. Is this normal at low speed? Should I rebuild it? Should I run it on my impact gun tomorrow to see what it does at a normal RPM? If it can't even put a noticable amount of pressure up against my finger at low RPM I kinda doubt it'll be able to charge a tank to 150 PSI at high RPM. Thanks for any help.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

mine produced very noticeable suction from just cranking it a few times... it should create, and maintain the vacuum on the intake port, if not, it has some problems...

if im wrong, someone please correct me, its been about a year since i touched my 210

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I pretty sure I read somewhere that they're good to 90psi, but they can do better. I know my OBA system shuts off at around 95psi. And as I remember when I got it, there was noticable suction just by rotating it by hand.

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Mine practically sucks my finger off after just a couple turns (not installed in my truck yet, on the coffee table looking pretty :cool1: )

P.S. don't want to make you feel bad but i picked mine up for $20 at the local pull n' save :grin:

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

You got an onboard compressor at a pick n pull?

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got one early this week for $24 for the local pici a part. I will be installing it over the next week and will post up when its done.

7. mikey_d05

Thanks for all your help so far. I know I could get one for cheap at a junkyard, but it's cold, the nearest junkyard is close to an hour away, the next one is close to two hours away, and I'm too lazy for words. So what do I do now? Take it apart and rebuild it? I see "shaft seals" for sale on e-bay all the time. I'm not exactly sure what they mean but they appear to be rebuild kits. Should I trash the compressor, suck it up and go pull one in a yard? I'm not sure where you all live but I wish there were as many good junkyards around me.

8. mikey_d05

Nevermind, the shaft seals I was seeing are the crankshaft seals...anyone have a good York 210 they want to sell?

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

How much preassure will one of these systems build?

sorry for the hijack:D
    im just curious because i have the money for eaithe one of thses or a powertank type system, but i dont want to spen 30min airing up when i get off the trail(power tank faster) but i dont want to pay to fill a tank (OBA wins here)

10. mikey_d05

I'm not sure how much pressure they're actually capable of, but I've seen several guys running 125-150 psi pressure switches so they should be pretty capable.

11. OrangeCrushK10

Well, the other day I did a test run to see how fast I could air up my tires with it. I aired up all 4 tires from 10psi to 40psi in under 10 minutes. Now, I do have a pretty large tank, but the compressor only had to refill the tank once per tire and there was a couple times that it finished airing up the tank before I finished airing up the tire!

After building the OBA system, I'd never use anything else. The long-stroke york compressors are awesome!

12. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

They air up my 44's and reseat beads plenty quick. I have buddies that use CO2 systems and would never change after seeing them. They are just not worth the $ or hastle for a slight gain in performance.

I have herd that AC systems run at high psi ranges. I know for a fact that an AC system excieds the burst pressure of the cheep air hoses. A buddy of mine set his first one up without a pressure switch or tank. It only took a couple of seconds to blow the hose. :blush:

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awsome thats was the final decision maker, im gettin OBA:D

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've shot my Spud-Be-Gone (tm) pneumatic spud cannon at nearly 165 psi off a York. FWIW, anything above 120 is a waste of time.

15. OrangeCrushK10

So what's the highest psi a person could get out of a york? I see some of you are saying you run yours to 120psi? If the York will handle that kind of pressure I'm going to go out there and adjust my pressure switch to kick off at 120psi instead of 95psi.

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

why do you say that?

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most a/c systems op at 400-450 psi for ref to work. 120-130 is good for trail use and still safe for working parts.

18. OrangeCrushK10

well... guess I need to go out there and adjust the pressure switch! :D

19. mikey_d05

There's still one fundamental problem with all this...nobody has a York 210 they want to sell me :D What are you guys using for hookups? Just a quick disconnect straight from the tank or regulators and oilers and such? I don't think most air tools like above 100 psi but I could be wrong. This hijack has actually been quite useful.

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

your welcome:D :D